Recovery Partition Lost/doesn't appear

WRS

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
Good afternoon. I bought a new Toshiba L55-A5284, and I didn't create the recovery disk.Trying to partitionate my HDD, I had problems with that, and after this, my Recovery Partition doesn't appear. I have installed Windows 7 on my laptop, to keep using it. I would like to know if there is yet a way to "find" my recovery partition to make a Factory Reset. Thank you

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
How did you try to partition the drive? Go to the disk management utility (right click Computer in the start menu, select Manage and select Disk Management in the new window). What partitions do you see on your HDD? If the recovery partition is still there it would be labeled Toshiba recovery or something like that.

WRS

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
Hello SchizTech's,
My laptop (L55 a5284 64bit) is new. At beginning, It showed Partition C:, and Recovery Partition (on Disk Management). I did Shrink in C:, and defined 100GB as capacity. After that I had a new unallocated space, that I created a new partition. When the computer did the restart, I had a problem with not finding C: (I can't remember well). Right now I have Win7 64 bit. I tried to use PartRecoveryToolkit, that found a Partition that looked like my original Recovery Partition, I did the recovering of this partition (10.72GB), and I saved all files in my portable HDD. I tried also to create a USB Bootable with those files, but I have had an error. I don't know how is the organization of all files, if they are in their right position.
Thank you

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
First, check disk management to check that the recovery partition is still there. If it is it can be re-activated. These instructions will do that. Only do it right if and when you want to restore the factory image since it will reboot directly into the recovery partition when you are done.

This applies to an acer laptop, so the recovery partition might not be in the same place as described here. Check the size of the partition to confirm you're editing the right partition before you apply changes!

http://aspiregemstone.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-activate-acer-hidden-partition.html

WRS

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
Hello SchizTech's,
In Disk Management I can see Partition C(100.25GB), D(298GB), E(300.28GB) and System Reserved(100MB). I can't see the Recovery Partition. Like I said, now I have Win7 64bit installed, and I have created Partition D and E during the installation.

WRS

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
I didn't delete it. When I finished Shrink C to create other partitions in the beggining, the Recovery Partition disappeared. I tried the instruction you gave me in the link "http://aspiregemstone.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-activate-acer-hidden-partition.html", but nothing happened, and the Recovery Partition did not appeared. The non letters partition have only 100MB. When I installed the Win7, I just used the Partition that was appearing.

WRS

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
Like I said, I have used Active Partition Recovery, and I could see the Recovery Partition, and at the end, I saved all files that was in that Recovery Drive to my HDD portable. I tried to create a USB bootable with those files. But I have had an error.

WRS

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
When I passed the files to the USB, and boot from the USB, an error appeared on the screen and it didn't ran. I don't know if the files, were in the right position, like they supposed to be.

WRS

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
When I ran my laptop at first time, I had a drive C: with 698GB, and the partition drive had almost 12GB and occupied 10.72GB. Now the sum of all partition is 698GB, what means the 12GB partition is somewhere. Am I right???

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

Is there any space unaccounted for when you look at disk management? Any empty spaces or unlabeled areas?

WRS

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
Hello SchizTech's,
Now, I can see only this: Partition C(100.25GB), D(298GB), E(300.28GB) and System Reserved(100MB, and is not labeled with letter). C+D+E = 698GB like the beginning.

WRS

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
Hello SchizTech's,
Like I said before, the space of the original Recovery Partition (almost 12GB) is missing. At the first use of my laptop, It had C(698GB) and Recovery(+/- 12GB). Now if I add all partitions, I have only 698GB, that means the 12GB is missing. Can I use a original Recovery of a new HP M6-K010DX (with Windows 8 64bit)?? If I run Active Partition Recovery, I can see my original Recovery Partition (10.72GB), but I don't know if saving the files, can help.

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
It's possible though not certain, and if it does there would probably still be a few device drivers you need to install. You would also want to check that it activates Windows (connect to the Internet, than in Windows Explorer go to Computer and click System Properties in the ribbon on top)