Reducing 20khz+ audio on your PC

Dorrsk81

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
So, there are a lot of resources online for using 16-20khz files to test your hearing, but for people hearing anything above 16khz I can't find software to cancel out or reduce that high pitched screech, every Equalizer in the software I can locate only goes up to 16khz for what you can manipulate.

I've got my sound running through Realtek Audio atm built into my computer, and a fairly decent amp and pair of speakers, which appear to play sounds up to and quite possibly above 20khz just fine, and this becomes a problem when I watch a TV show on my computer and portions of the show include a high pitched screech well above 16khz that I can't turn down without turning the master volume down, simply because the equalizers don't touch sounds that high pitched.

So my question is, what would the best way be to fix this without replacing any hardware?

Solution
So this just happens on TV shows, what, where or how are getting the TV shows? Is it DVD, cable, over the air, satellite, Hulu or downloaded files files/streaming files? The encoding or decoding could be the problem. Fixing the problem would mean finding some software that can block/reduce above 16khz but maybe not free hehe. Or it could be just your amp freaking out once in awhile.

Dorrsk81

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Onkyo TX-SR308 for the amp and
Yamaha YST-SW012 for the speakers/subwoofer

They produce no abnormal 16khz+ screeches on their own, but I've noticed certain audio files when played have frequencies that fall into that range. Guessing that probably has to do with how the audio files were recorded or encoded, because it only happens with about 1 or 2% of the content I come across, but its painful when it happens.

So this just happens on TV shows, what, where or how are getting the TV shows? Is it DVD, cable, over the air, satellite, Hulu or downloaded files files/streaming files? The encoding or decoding could be the problem. Fixing the problem would mean finding some software that can block/reduce above 16khz but maybe not free hehe. Or it could be just your amp freaking out once in awhile.

Solution

Dorrsk81

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
nah, isn't the hardware freaking, I can pause/rewind the affected recordings and the screech will start and stop at the same points. They're usually torrents of TV shows, and most of the better quality ones are unaffected. I'd rather suffer the screeching pain of TV torrents than the homicidal rage from TV ads on sites like HULU.

I'd love to find an equalizer program that'll just let me cancel out that sound range, but I've had no luck so far in my search for one.

Dorrsk81

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
I've tried to use HDMI and Optical connections, but ended up having to use a minijack to connect computer and amp every time because I'm pretty sure this model of amp was never really intended to be hooked up to a computer, more just to TV/DVD player/etc. I researched it heavily at one point and found out the amp wasn't designed for...I think it was the standard audio encoding systems computers use, so it never recognized HDMI or Optical when they were plugged in and setup.