Remote Desktop trouble same network different version OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

claytonhamm

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Hi,

I run windows 7 and am trying to remote desktop to another computer on my network that runs windows 8.

I enabled remote connections on both computers and I still get this error:

Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:

1) Remote access to the server is not enabled
2) The remote computer is turned off
3) The remote computer is not available on the network

Make sure the remote computer is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
The Remote PC must be running a Professional or Enterprise version of Windows in order to connect to it using Remote Desktop. So the question is, does the Windows 8 PC run Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise? If not, you will not be able to connect to it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remote-desktop-connection-faq#1TC=windows-8

"Which PCs can I connect to using Remote Desktop Connection?"

"You can use a PC running any edition of Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7, or a PC running Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, or Windows RT 8.1 to initiate a connection. But the remote PC must be running one of these Windows operating systems:

Windows 8.1 Pro

Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Windows 8 Enterprise

Windows 8 Pro

Windows 7 Professional

Windows 7 Enterprise

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows Vista Business

Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows Vista Enterprise

Windows XP Professional"

pauls3743

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
You also need to have the network connections set correctly, this means either switching off your firewall (not recommended) or changing your network location to Home or Work. The Public location menas you're in a public location and prevent people from remoting into your pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.