Solved! Replaced screen for Lenovo Thinkpad W550s, now the screen only turns on when windows has booted.

Jun 18, 2019
I replaced the screen on my W550s with a B156HAN04.2. Everything fit perfectly and everything should be compatible, but now when I press the power button, I get a black screen up until the time windows boots up. I can not view the BIOS or the boot up animation with this new display, which all works with the previous display.

Also: I have ubuntu installed as well and whenever the computer first is turned on, it goes to grub bootmanager to select between these two options. I can't see grub or the bios, nothing unless windows boots. I'm thinking it may have to do something with Lenovo and their FRU numbers as I lost all brightness control as well.

Solution
Looks like that is a generic screen not a Lenovo one. Contact the vendor of the screen and check with them about the issues. You can try doing a BIOS update also on the system to see if that helps any.

There is an option in the W models for video display priority that is likely causing this to happen due to the generic screen. When mine was in a dock it would not display the BIOS on the monitors until I changed the video options, yours is doing it with the laptop display. Most likely because you are not using the exact screen match.
Looks like that is a generic screen not a Lenovo one. Contact the vendor of the screen and check with them about the issues. You can try doing a BIOS update also on the system to see if that helps any.

There is an option in the W models for video display priority that is likely causing this to happen due to the generic screen. When mine was in a dock it would not display the BIOS on the monitors until I changed the video options, yours is doing it with the laptop display. Most likely because you are not using the exact screen match.

Solution