Question Replaced screen for Lenovo Thinkpad W550s, now the screen only turns on when windows has booted.

Jun 18, 2019
I replaced the screen on my W550s with a B156HAN04.2. Everything fit perfectly and everything should be compatible, but now when I press the power button, I get a black screen up until the time windows boots up. I can not view the BIOS or the boot up animation with this new display, which all works with the previous display.

Also: I have ubuntu installed as well and whenever the computer first is turned on, it goes to grub bootmanager to select between these two options. I can't see grub or the bios, nothing unless windows boots. I'm thinking it may have to do something with Lenovo and their FRU numbers as I lost all brightness control as well.

hang-the-9

Titan
Looks like that is a generic screen not a Lenovo one. Contact the vendor of the screen and check with them about the issues. You can try doing a BIOS update also on the system to see if that helps any.

There is an option in the W models for video display priority that is likely causing this to happen due to the generic screen. When mine was in a dock it would not display the BIOS on the monitors until I changed the video options, yours is doing it with the laptop display. Most likely because you are not using the exact screen match.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Aleksandar 187 Laptop Tech Support 0
F Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 1
Nickpug9 Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 6
W Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 3
J Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 1