Question Replaced thermal paste and cleaned fan, still running hot

Apr 7, 2019
I've had this ASUS K53E for at least 7 years now and still going strong for the most part. In the past few months I've noticed the CPU been running hotter than it should be and has occasionally shut itself down due to the heat. I've replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the fan twice now, but its still running hot

The one thing I've noticed is that the fan exhaust is not very hot at all anymore. Before I had these issues the exhaust was hot, but now it seems to be blowing out at room temperature. I'm almost sure its the heat pipe that's causing it because everything else is running normal

I'm considering replacing the fan and heat pipe since its only $15 , but is there anything else I should check? I'm completely new to this so any advice would be appreciated

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019
Sounds like you are right and need to replace the fan. I would start there.

If that doesn't turn out to be enough, then you may need to look into replacing whatever component is indeed overheating. You didn't mention what it was exactly that was overheating (GPU, CPU, etc.).
I'm probably gonna order the fan today and get back to y'all about the results. Its the CPU overheating I apologize for not specifying I'll have to edit the OP. Anyways thanks for the reply

Apr 7, 2019
I might as well update my thread

I got the new fan and heat tube installed with some fresh thermal paste and my computer is running like new. I've been toying with it for about a hour now and its running 30-40 degrees lower than it was.

The fan exhaust is also blowing warm air now so I figure my problems are solved!