Solved! Replacement Screen Blank Until Reconnected After Boot

SMRieth

Commendable
Jun 1, 2019
Good day everybody; I've enjoyed these forums for a while, and now need some specific help! I recently replaced the screen on an ASUS G752VL ROG laptop due to an unfortunate event that cracked my previous screen. Now, it seems that I can only get an image on the screen if I disconnect it and reconnect it after boot.

1. The screen is completely blank through the splash, then is backlit with no image when the OS would be up.
  2. An external monitor displays everything normally.
  3. The old screen displays normally (except for the obvious crack).
  4. If I reboot, and disconnect, then reconnect the screen after the boot sequence, it comes up fine. However, once I boot again, I end up with the same symptoms.
  5. Attempted disconnecting the battery (a pain since ASUS embeds the battery in the laptop so you have to remove the keyboard to get to it) and such. No change.
  6. I didn't figure it was BIOS or drivers since the external displays normally, but I tried the typical resets anyways, just in case. No change.
Any thoughts? I appreciate your help.

Solution
That is why I am thinking compatibility, due to it not showing after start. It could be that it isn't compatible with the GPU as well.

Did you try starting up in "Safe Mode" to see if it will show in there? If is OK in that, then it may be a compatibility with the GPU.
I asked because well while it may be 'compatible' that doesn't mean it really is. Lots of components companies make claim they could/should work, but then they don't.

I would say you have two options. If purchased new, return it for a replacement (maybe this one has a problem) or return it and buy the OEm one.

SMRieth

Commendable
Jun 1, 2019
I asked because well while it may be 'compatible' that doesn't mean it really is. Lots of components companies make claim they could/should work, but then they don't.

I would say you have two options. If purchased new, return it for a replacement (maybe this one has a problem) or return it and buy the OEm one.

I considered that, but found it odd that I did get a picture, but only if I connect the screen after boot. I'm thinking it's a BIOS issue, but can't think of anything specific to do about it. Of course, there is the very distinct possibility that it is just a compatibility issue and there is no resolution outside of purchasing another screen. *Le Sigh

That is why I am thinking compatibility, due to it not showing after start. It could be that it isn't compatible with the GPU as well.

Did you try starting up in "Safe Mode" to see if it will show in there? If is OK in that, then it may be a compatibility with the GPU.

Solution