Replacing Laptop Motherboard

Jt00

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
I've got a Toshiba Satellite L855-S5280P that I got in 2012 and the motherboard has gone dead. I can't even get a power LED to turn on when it's plugged in, and after having tested it myself and had a friend who repairs computers for a living confirm, the issue is definitely with the motherboard. I'd like to replace the motherboard, but my friend warned me that the only replacements I would be able to find would either be used motherboards or would come from China. He said that the latter tends not to work most of the time and that I would probably be better off buying a new laptop than repairing this one.
Buying a new laptop wouldn't be an issue for me, but I would like to save money if possible and I hate to throw away a computer that's perfectly good except for one broken part. In your experience, is there much of a risk involved in buying a replacement motherboard for a laptop?

USAFRet

Splendid

Refurbished by whom?
By the manufacturer? Sure, no problem.
By the seller? Yeah, all he did was blow some dust off.

Jt00

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Right, I understand that you can only use that specific motherboard. There are a lot of replacement motherboards marketed as refurbished, are those worth looking into?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Laptop General Discussion 1
T Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 1
L Laptop General Discussion 1
P Laptop General Discussion 1
N Laptop General Discussion 1
J Laptop General Discussion 5
C Laptop General Discussion 2
R Laptop General Discussion 3
A Laptop General Discussion 2