Report: 1 Million Xbox Users Banned for Piracy

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]nobody knows for sure what they use to detect modded 360's. [/citation]
For every firmware update they do, MS burns out a compositor or resistor. They count the number that are gone or left over to find out whether your up to date on your valid firmware. If your not, they then verify the count to your existing firmware version and automatically updates your xbox, if you didn't modify your xbox. If you did the firmware rollback mod, then your screwed and your console itself gets banned and not the account. Which means, more money towards MS's pockets or buy another system to play online. I didn't get ban cuz i do have 2 xboxes. 1 refurbished + modded model for playing pirated games and never go online with and the other is perfectly normal. So if your xbox is modded, never plug it in to the internet.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
You pirated 10 games.. 60$ a pc.. that's 600$.. And you some how are calling the pirates stupid.. Lets get even more conservative.. 45$ a game.. 450.. Lets take 50 as most sellers I know only charge 5 per cd.. That's 50.. So that's 400.. How much does an xbox 360 just the console cost? Ya, that's what I thought pirates still can easily come out ahead.

And, yes I've heard of some one being banned *no not me I got one, but I'm sticking with mhy pc still way. Maybe once I go to iraq I'll play my xbox more* My friend got banned, but heres the thing he knew he did something wrong, but his father also got band different house holds, his father didn't have anything modded at all. GOOD GAME MS.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]You pirated 10 games.. 60$ a pc.. that's 600$.. And you some how are calling the pirates stupid.[/citation]

Yes, they are stupid. Theft is stupid behavior in a capitalist society since it causes a decrease in revenues, and the pirates who do not understand this are stupid for not knowing it. Those who may know it are then stupid for consciously participating in an act that is both bad for the economy and harmful to others.

sanphire

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Ah man, whats the big news? They did this to the 1st gen Xbox wholesale. Back then, they'd detect if you'd "unlocked" the hard drive to allow modded software to access it and then killed your account. But back then I guess LIVE wasn't the big deal it is on this generation, so it didn't make front page news. Question - how do you now back up your original media?

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]Gaming is one thing, people talk and talk about how awesome they are but really have nothing to show for it. I love gaming, I also love fixing up old cars. I have also made a few changes to my 09 Charger r/t, she is a nice grocery getter, but the mustang does all the talking. I like the sound of the charger better as well, much deeper growl than the stang. The last car I fixed up was a team effort, I rebuilt a Boss 429 engine and placed it on a 32 Ford Bucket Roadster. She never got a change to really run, twisted the frame while revving her up. Frame had a 2" deviation from the torque. We knew it would happen, the guy cleaning up the frame and body did not want to strengthen the frame. Oh well, i got paid.[/citation]

I have a mustang with a V8 too but I just love how when I mention it, it brings up a bunch of flamer ricers..even though I generally didn't in the past say anything bad about their cars.. but lately it has been rediculous. I'd feel like a gay if I had to go out and buy a honda civic to be perfectly honest. I'm not even asian so it doesn't fit me at all. I got passed by a civic going up hill in my old car because well sure they have more power than that one.. but the guy in it looked like a homo driving that pos. And at least my old car doesn't only live 10 years, it is 40 years old and still going mad strong. Try getting in a conversation with a guy who owns an SRT4 those guys are morons and they put too much boost in their turbos and end up grenading their engines because they are knuckleheads. I know what can handle horsepower and it isn't a tiny cheapskate little 4cyl econo car that is for damn sure. Those things burn down if you put too much into them. I do own a 4banger but I don't go throwing mad turbos and superchargers and whatnot on it, that not only wouldn't be safe in a small vehicle but it would be very impractical for what the thing was designed for in the first place. Not to mention extremely unreliable and explosion city.

But yeah we can let people run their mouth all day about stuff that they may own or may want us to believe that they own. I didn't come on here flaming these people and look how they treat me. I played my xbox for 5 minutes last night and got bored and turned it off. And I was playing DOA4 on it which you know, is in one of those green plastic boxes that has XBOX360 written all over the inserts.. it's a legit game. But these guys come on and brag and think I don't buy any games well shit... maybe I shouldn't.

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
I didn't know it was smart to do illegal and immoral things if you can save money. I suppose the robber is smart if he breaks into a home and steals enough for rent. You're stupid for not breaking in and for paying your own rent. I guess it's smart to scam people too, as long as you don't get caught. Very smart to scam the life savings of some trusting but dumb old person. Only stupid people work for money and pay bills with their own money, that's stupid, it's smarter to steal.

Slowly but surely the tide is turning against pirates. Finally there are some consequences for pirating, and that's what ultimately will get the average person to stop. If there were no police, no way for shopowners to defend themselves or harm robbers, how many more robbers would there be? It's the fear of jail, or getting shot by an armed shopowner that keeps you people from cleaning out the local 7-eleven routinely.

That's why harsh penalties for pirating are needed, the posts above prove that appealing to decency, morality, and fairness isn't going to work with pirates. They don't care if it's wrong, they will take if they can. In fact morality never even enters into the discussion, it's only the reward, the booty, versus the likelihood of getting caught and the penalties. Therefore the penalties have to be made harsher to discourage piracy.

G

It's simple: have 2 XBOXES...
1 moded for local play on pirated games
1 out of the box for online games... (how many xbox games are really good online games ?)
No risks this way
And with all the money not spend in games, the 2nd xbox is payed 10 times.

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
All I'm going to say is:

If you wanna be cool follow one simple rule, Don't mess with the flow no no.. Stick to the status Stick to the status Stick to the status quo!

G

problem is liek many others mine was banned and it was not modded they have a flaw in there system and they are not whilling to admit it or fix there error

G

I got banned for playing an xbox i bought on craigslist. then i get charged again for my banned account. called them and told them i dont want anything to do with ms and they cant remove the charge? don't believe that for a minute. but i do know that if overdraft fees occur for a service my console was banned from, i'll be taking legal actions against microsoft.

G

and i don't know about all this "people are going out and buying a new one" i am connected with a large group of people who got banned (some pirates, others just mistakes) and every single one is now boycotting ms. they refuse to buy another xbox. eventually, it's going to get fixed. people will ALWAYS get around it. and maybe there's no morality in playing burned games...but when most of the xbox games suck nowadays, i'm not going to pay $60 bucks for a terrible game like i'm wiping my a$$ with it. it really doesn't matter. people can moan and complain all they want. eventually MS will not be able to have any control over their xbox live.

Status
Not open for further replies.