Report: 1 Million Xbox Users Banned for Piracy

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]aeurix[/nom]Next up is : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti- [...] _Agreement... you guys really want that?[/citation]

Apparantly from the posts above people on here want that sort of thing today.

What people don't realize is that we do not live in a fascist country. Do you guys remember WWII germany? Oh yes the germans used to (and probably still do I am not sure, their laws are different than ours) take full control over ALL telecommunications in that country. Sure would have sucked a$$ if the axis would have dominated the earth wouldn't it. Anyways we have a set bit of freedoms in this country and yeah you can get in trouble for piracy but the us government doesn't want to make its citizens feel like we ALL are in prison and have no freedom or rights at all.

I think some of you want the greed to take over but that is fine, everyone has a right to their own opinion. I just prefer to do as I very well please with a product that I purchase at the store, rather than having some dictator come down and try to tell me how to live my life. If they don't want me paying for their services to go online so be it. I don't need to give them money unless it is what I freely choose to do.

Also all the haters out there, when I'm telling you I am running fully legit software on my PC and I pretty much STOPPED using my silly little white whale.. what harm is there in that? that means that I don't use pirated games and I play the ones that I purchase with money now. I like playing on pc a lot more than playing on console and you can quite OFTEN get much better deals on games that way. $60 for each game running out and buying shovelware for $60-$70 a pop and not being to return it AT ALL is purely stupid. Now you see why people do what they do. These manufacturers need to wake up and listen to someone. Blocking them from being able to purchase cheaper games online with xbox live is oh yeah such a smart move....

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]steiner666[/nom]THIS JUST IN:ppl think paying $60 a game is bullshit!Get with the fucking economy M$ idiots![/citation]

Maybe video games shouldn't exist at all, on PC or otherwise? Is that better?

I agree, I hate spending 60 bucks and won't do so without knowing I'm getting a great game.

However, if the game really deserves the 60, I'll pony up. The reason they are 60 is because the last jerk just like you said 50 was too much; and 40 before that.

Eventually, there will be no more games to pirate because of asses like you. The only reason any ports even come out is because they are real effortless to port from 360 to PC.

They justify even offering a PC version because practically all dev is done anyways and they assume some additional money from the PC sector is better than none.

However, if you take two seconds to wrap your brain around, eventually what will likely happen is the extra porting money will near break-even what they get back in on PC (it already almost is). They will then say (they already do) "Why are we offering a PC version if we make little to no extra money anymore? We'll just only do the console and if they wanna play that bad they can move over here."

Now you can spend your 60 over there ;)

Jerk.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]Apparantly from the posts above people on here want that sort of thing today.What people don't realize is that we do not live in a fascist country. Do you guys remember WWII germany? Oh yes the germans used to (and probably still do I am not sure, their laws are different than ours) take full control over ALL telecommunications in that country. Sure would have sucked a$$ if the axis would have dominated the earth wouldn't it. Anyways we have a set bit of freedoms in this country and yeah you can get in trouble for piracy but the us government doesn't want to make its citizens feel like we ALL are in prison and have no freedom or rights at all.I think some of you want the greed to take over but that is fine, everyone has a right to their own opinion. I just prefer to do as I very well please with a product that I purchase at the store, rather than having some dictator come down and try to tell me how to live my life. If they don't want me paying for their services to go online so be it. I don't need to give them money unless it is what I freely choose to do.Also all the haters out there, when I'm telling you I am running fully legit software on my PC and I pretty much STOPPED using my silly little white whale.. what harm is there in that? that means that I don't use pirated games and I play the ones that I purchase with money now. I like playing on pc a lot more than playing on console and you can quite OFTEN get much better deals on games that way. $60 for each game running out and buying shovelware for $60-$70 a pop and not being to return it AT ALL is purely stupid. Now you see why people do what they do. These manufacturers need to wake up and listen to someone. Blocking them from being able to purchase cheaper games online with xbox live is oh yeah such a smart move....[/citation]
I think you are missing the point. I don't know if it's intentional or not at this point...

You are receiving feedback to a root-post where you say you got banned from xbox live for having hacked firmware; That you buy enough software to justify pirating the rest. And that you think its funny you got banned.

Do you not understand why people think that is asinine?

Also, please spare me any mention of "I only modded my xbox so i could make backups of games I already own". That sounds ridiculous out loud that you would want to back up the games you don't even like on the system you don't even enjoy and are happy it got banned.

Just stop.

Stop.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
most of the 360 players I know are pretty loyal to the 360... so I'm sure alot of these people will just pick up another console if they want to play online.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
You can simply unban the console anyway, M$ is only targeting the clueless noobs in the piracy crowd. That said, is there anybody with skills playing on a console?

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I didnt get banned, but my first gen 360 did decide that the disk tray opening and closing was just too much for it any more. Its got my halo3 mythic disk stuck in it too. Gonna have to take that bitch apart now.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]nelson_nel[/nom]I think you are missing the point. I don't know if it's intentional or not at this point...You are receiving feedback to a root-post where you say you got banned from xbox live for having hacked firmware; That you buy enough software to justify pirating the rest. And that you think its funny you got banned.Do you not understand why people think that is asinine?Also, please spare me any mention of "I only modded my xbox so i could make backups of games I already own". That sounds ridiculous out loud that you would want to back up the games you don't even like on the system you don't even enjoy and are happy it got banned.Just stop.Stop.[/citation]

meh I don't even play my xbox any more. I occasionally may turn it on to try out a game in single player that is about it. I haven't subscribed to xbox live in about 2 or 3 years now. big loss.

now if they'd just brick the entire console...oh wait that would bring in the EPA because it would be a huge environmental issue due to blatant waste of industrial resources and pollution.

I have been reading that the new consoles can _not_ be modded so this is basically a push to get people who use modded consoles into ones that can't be. Plus the idea that microsoft never makes money off of new console sales is assnine. It depends which model you buy and where you buy it from. Sure I can believe that they lose money if you buy one for $157 from dell, but if you buy one that comes with a hard drive from a regular retail store not on sale, do they really lose money from that? I don't think so mainly due to the fact that this is old technology. This thing came out in 2005 right, my desktop PC is vastly superior to an xbox360 console. It was not that way in 2005. This system does not cost that much money to make now. Sure in 2005 it may have, but certainly not in 2009.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]nelson_nel[/nom]I think you are missing the point. I don't know if it's intentional or not at this point...You are receiving feedback to a root-post where you say you got banned from xbox live for having hacked firmware; That you buy enough software to justify pirating the rest. And that you think its funny you got banned.Do you not understand why people think that is asinine?Also, please spare me any mention of "I only modded my xbox so i could make backups of games I already own". That sounds ridiculous out loud that you would want to back up the games you don't even like on the system you don't even enjoy and are happy it got banned.Just stop.Stop.[/citation]

Also I didn't back up my own copy of Test Drive Unlimited which I spent countless hours playing and me at a lot of people (whom don't use xbox live any more and also are people who never modded their systems). I didn't create my own copy but I did end up purchasing it shrink wrapped at the store. That was a pretty fun game but yeah I guess they don't consider some people actually purchase the games that they spend a lot of time on. People still play that one and I think it is amazing servers are even still up for that game.

But yeah let's all just cry and just say this one person (me) never contributed at all to these rich whiners that are making video games. *shoves all my retail purchased 360 titles under a rug* waaa. too bad.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]CChick[/nom]annnnnnd Chinese engineers got millionsour friends? nothing.ROFL FAILEDsuck a cock bitch.[/citation]

You fail, try again.

Chinese engineers get nothing. You really think a chinese engineer would mod chips for xbox LOL. These mods are done by individuals who are basically script kiddies. One person figures it out, the rest copy the hell out of it. Isn't that what China does best? Copy someone else's ideas poorly with a heavy coating of lead.

It is Microsoft who can be expecting the sales of an estimated 500,000 360 soon.

Your the chick...why don't you go wrap your lips around a meat stick. Or do you prefer fish?

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]CChick[/nom]lol ! omg u know a guy owns 30K worth of PS3 games? lets see so does that mean he bought every single game came out since launch? if thats the case, I think the person you "know" is nothing but a sore loser LOL. and hmm ... spend all money on games and computers ... hmm , does having 3 car thats heavily modded, having a boat, a house count ?[/citation]

I have a couple thousand wrapped up in video games myself. I have 3 cars, one one is heavily modded (69 mustang coupe, 351w, gt40 heads, 6spd standard trans, custom interior, i hand modified the distributor, one off exaust...i love that car), house..yup, boat...yup. I fail to see what you are getting at? Saying he should have spent the money on something else? Do you know what he does or what he already has?

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I just can't believe people actually pay for the xbox live service in the first place... If I had an xbox, I'd only care about single player anyway, so I could pirate all I wanted and never give a shit about the live service.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]I have a couple thousand wrapped up in video games myself. I have 3 cars, one one is heavily modded (69 mustang coupe, 351w, gt40 heads, 6spd standard trans, custom interior, i hand modified the distributor, one off exaust...i love that car), house..yup, boat...yup. I fail to see what you are getting at? Saying he should have spent the money on something else? Do you know what he does or what he already has?[/citation]

datawrecker, cchick probalby owns 3 modified ricers. you have a real nice car right there. I'd love to have a 67 mustang california or gt500 body car. my dad says the 69 was the best one ever made from long ago, i guess structurally it was much stronger than the previous ones and can support more horsepower. but ya i won't mention the cars i have because someone always nitpicks at my stuff and it is totally annoying. i have a couple nice cars is all i can say. but ya dishing out 30k on a stack of ps3 games when u could use it to buy something much more tangible and quite possibly can get you outside under real sunlight and fresh air is kinda rediculous if u ask me.

but ya i spend considerable more time modding my new car rather than squandering my time on xbox live...what a joke :)

bennyt

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Well they finally got me. I don't mind though. Games in Australia are $100 each ($110 in they are brand new). I've been buying my games for $10 each instead. Got quite a library now. I can go out and buy an arcade version for $300, mod it and attach my HDD to it. I'll still be in front.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I see premium banned xbox360 consoles on CL for $80 now, if anyone wants something just for single player that is pretty cheap. I remember when a brand new NES deck cost $100-$120 ;) but ya i'm with bennyt i don't mind. completely forgot about buying another xbox live subscription before this happened haha

AtuBrian

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]maydaynomore[/nom]COD WAW for $10. Why would I pirate)[/citation]
or get it for 0$ and save some money

madhumper69

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Hate consoles rather play the games on a PC, They come out with new consoles every so often and its annoying to spend more money on all items needed, gotta buy the second controller and a game that doesn't come with your console how lame is that and they wounder why people are modding their xbox's maybe cause the customer is not fully getting what they should.

On one hand they have to ban the users because everyone will fallow in the foot steps and play on xbox live with pirated games, Microsoft will loose more money banning all 1 million users.

1 million users for 1 month is like 15million dollars down the toilet
XBOX live should be free period i mean pretty soon we will have to pay for the time we play on xbox live pathetic rip off!

Status
Not open for further replies.