Report: 1 Million Xbox Users Banned for Piracy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]digitalgriffin[/nom]Horrible idea. You disinfranchise 20% of the population which doesn't have broadband.[/citation]

I do not have an Xbox360 but I thought that you would already need broadband connection to use Live in its current form.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
euheuh bwahahahahahaha... Microsoft is banning them from xbox live. That means what, Microsoft is losing 80M$ a year? I don't call this a good move.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Yet another misleading article title by Ms McEntegart. Is it that hard to switch the headline and the title or can you not think of better ways to get us to click on the article to see more of Tom's ads, other than exaggerating press releases and generally misleading us pretty often?

G

They can't catch all of the modders. The modification involves flashing the DVD drive with firmware that "lies" to the console and tells it that a copied disc is a real one. It is a very difficult thing to detect (the creator has confirmed this). Most people getting banned were just stupid and did things like burn and play a bad game image. I know several people with modded consoles and none of them have been banned. They are all still going strong for over 3 years now.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Doing the hack on the firmware of the DVD is what is getting you banned. only the console is banned. Most will go and buy another xbox 360. MS wouldn't be foolish enough to ban the live account just when the PS3 was about to beat them in sales because of the price drop and the xmas season.

Smart move by MS.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
And for those who did this that didn't get banned yet... You will get caught. It might be safe to not connect to MS Live until the fix for this ban is found.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]And THAT is why you should buy PC ^_^[/citation]
No. I can't tell if you're deliberating being ignorant or not.

First, it's unlikely anyone with xbox360 and internet doesn't have a PC....

That little factoid aside, it is exactly THIS REASON (the banning) why developers would rather make games for consoles instead of PC. People who pirate actually get repercussions which means maybe just maybe you might see a little more innovation in the industry again.

I wish for two seconds people would be a little less selfish and idiotic.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]digitalgriffin[/nom]Horrible idea. You disinfranchise 20% of the population which doesn't have broadband.[/citation]

That's a pretty random stat. I think a better stat would be of those '20%' how many of them are likely to be involved in piracy (buying pirated games from others even). I bet it would easily breech 80%.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
They banned me, I was actually happy to see the ban message on my console. I wasn't planning on purchasing anything on xbox live or getting a paid live account again anyway. Xbox online got old for me. Once I purchased a few online games on PC such as Orange Box I was having a lot more fun. PC is still better for gaming imho. I can still play anything I want offline on my xbox and I still have a spare system that isn't banned to boot. Won't see me complaining. We were all cracking jokes about it in chat last night, I really don't care. The more these console makers do to cripple my stuff the less I will use it. My wii is in a very sad state right now, I hate that console since the big N keeps fiddlefarting with updates and games.. i'd rather just not play wii in that case. mine just sits cos it is a POS. xbox360 gets very little use as well whether it be banned or not.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]euheuh bwahahahahahaha... Microsoft is banning them from xbox live. That means what, Microsoft is losing 80M$ a year? I don't call this a good move.[/citation]

You're an idiot too. I guess there are plenty to go around...

NOTHING stops these people from buying another console and using the same account again. Payment for Xbox Live is upfront. That means they already got paid...

Now you will say 'I mean recurring income, you ass'. Well I garuntee you most of those who ar ebanned will be buying the now lower price xbox and trying all over again if not immediately then early next year. They can do so and still be in the 'fiscal chain' so-to-speak.

Microsoft is not stupid. You however...

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]euheuh bwahahahahahaha... Microsoft is banning them from xbox live. That means what, Microsoft is losing 80M$ a year? I don't call this a good move.[/citation]

yeah it actually is bad, it makes me buy less stuff in the long run. I was going to subscribe to live again and buy points but now it has left a bad taste and I see no need.

and for those who want to say anything about piracy..I buy just as many games for all of my systems as any NORMAL person would. Starting with my colecovision I had maybe 20 games for that, then my NES i had about 16 or so... I have bought more than 10 games for xbox360 and on my snes I own about 50 cartridges etc... I buy as many games as a person that doesn't pirate anything. Microsoft + Nintendo aren't very bright. and yeah, lol @ losing 80 million a year...it is all subscriber based and u can't pirate the online content... tons of pirates buy points and play a lot of the stuff they buy over the internet through xbox live.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]yeah it actually is bad, it makes me buy less stuff in the long run. I was going to subscribe to live again and buy points but now it has left a bad taste and I see no need.and for those who want to say anything about piracy..I buy just as many games for all of my systems as any NORMAL person would. Starting with my colecovision I had maybe 20 games for that, then my NES i had about 16 or so... I have bought more than 10 games for xbox360 and on my snes I own about 50 cartridges etc... I buy as many games as a person that doesn't pirate anything. Microsoft + Nintendo aren't very bright. and yeah, lol @ losing 80 million a year...it is all subscriber based and u can't pirate the online content... tons of pirates buy points and play a lot of the stuff they buy over the internet through xbox live.[/citation]

You're idiot number 3 (or 4? or 5...)! Hooray!

You just got done posting about how you never buy anything and now you are somehow toting the fact that you've now been discouraged from buying future products. YOU JUST GOT BANNED FOR PIRACY YOU CLAIM!

BIG STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I have modified my Xbox 360 to play the copies of the games I legally own. I have around 90 titles and refuse to pay for the damn game again if the disc goes bad. I dare Microsoft to ban me, as that would give me standing to sue them for violating my right to copy media I own and use those copies for myself.

I think it is high time that someone sue Microsoft, as well as other console manufacturers, to give us the inherent ability to make working backups of all games we purchase. If a game disc fails after a rather short period of time, we either have to pay more money for the exact same title or put our online account in jeopardy.

I hate it for the game makers that thieves exist, but that is not my problem. Now, if they wish to allow copies to be made by using a built in component in the console and only allow for special media they sell or license to be usable, then I am fine with that. The fact remains that customer need to be allowed to make backup copies of their games.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
oh you mean you're just a cheap mother fucker Who just want to play without pay.

Hmm, I get it.

Yeah, good thing they banned your ass. BITCH

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]nelson_nel[/nom]You're an idiot too. I guess there are plenty to go around...NOTHING stops these people from buying another console and using the same account again. Payment for Xbox Live is upfront. That means they already got paid...Now you will say 'I mean recurring income, you ass'. Well I garuntee you most of those who ar ebanned will be buying the now lower price xbox and trying all over again if not immediately then early next year. They can do so and still be in the 'fiscal chain' so-to-speak.Microsoft is not stupid. You however...[/citation]

not necessarily, nelson.. my live subscription expired over a year ago and I had yet to renew. I don't do the online credit card deal cos I know they keep renewing you until you call in and a lot of people including myself are probalby too lazy to do so. I knew a guy in the UK who had an xbox live gold on his CC and he was so damn lazy and also so busy with real life things such as having a g/f and raising a newborn... that he just let it lapse and he kept re-incurring what would it be like 70 pounds a year there or some rediculous fee because console companies LOVE to shaft the UK.. so he was paying for 12 month subscriptions for full price for at least 2 years without even turning on his xbox system.

as far as buying a new console I have an extra one already that I bought 3 years ago for 200 dollars. I'm in no bad shape at all. Just a little bit more wise this time.

xbox live ban ftw.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]nelson_nel[/nom]You're idiot number 3 (or 4? or 5...)! Hooray!You just got done posting about how you never buy anything and now you are somehow toting the fact that you've now been discouraged from buying future products. YOU JUST GOT BANNED FOR PIRACY YOU CLAIM!BIG STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/citation]

how is owning ~ 100 legit video games not buying anything? where did you learn math?

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]yeah it actually is bad, it makes me buy less stuff in the long run. I was going to subscribe to live again and buy points but now it has left a bad taste and I see no need.and for those who want to say anything about piracy..I buy just as many games for all of my systems as any NORMAL person would. Starting with my colecovision I had maybe 20 games for that, then my NES i had about 16 or so... I have bought more than 10 games for xbox360 and on my snes I own about 50 cartridges etc... I buy as many games as a person that doesn't pirate anything. Microsoft + Nintendo aren't very bright. and yeah, lol @ losing 80 million a year...it is all subscriber based and u can't pirate the online content... tons of pirates buy points and play a lot of the stuff they buy over the internet through xbox live.[/citation]

oh. I was talking to this cheap motherfucker.

hmm, you got as much games as ppl who dont pirate ? hmm rrrright. while I dont have Xbox. I got over 70 PS3 games, and over 200 PS2 games, and probably 300+ PS games. Plus all other Saturn, DC, TurboGraphic/PC-Engine/PCFX. etc. Ahhh.

so yeah, you can stfu now.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]I have modified my Xbox 360 to play the copies of the games I legally own. I have around 90 titles and refuse to pay for the damn game again if the disc goes bad. I dare Microsoft to ban me, as that would give me standing to sue them for violating my right to copy media I own and use those copies for myself.I think it is high time that someone sue Microsoft, as well as other console manufacturers, to give us the inherent ability to make working backups of all games we purchase. If a game disc fails after a rather short period of time, we either have to pay more money for the exact same title or put our online account in jeopardy.I hate it for the game makers that thieves exist, but that is not my problem. Now, if they wish to allow copies to be made by using a built in component in the console and only allow for special media they sell or license to be usable, then I am fine with that. The fact remains that customer need to be allowed to make backup copies of their games.[/citation]

read the EULA.. if they are anything like Nintendo it will state in there that they don't allow you to make backup copies of the games you own. I haven't really looked much in the instruction manuals of my xbox360 games so I'm not sure if it is in the EULA or not.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]how is owning ~ 100 legit video games not buying anything? where did you learn math?[/citation]

Instead of asking where I learned math (you are using imaginary numbers anyways...) and making yourself look even more stupid, why don't you re-read your prior post where you claim you buy as much as someone who doesn' tpirate and how that somehow balances things out...

If you USE MORE then you PAY MORE. If not then deal with what happens afterwards. You're trying to justify a stupid act with stupid reason.

I agree to suck at match in hopes that you may one day realize you suck at LOGIC.

Done now.

Status
Not open for further replies.