Report: 1 Million Xbox Users Banned for Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
They didn't catch everybody LOL. My two neighbors who created thier own mod for thier systems are still playing online with pirated copies of MW2 for their 360. While I admit NASA engineers are usually rather bland, these two are roflcoptering at the 1 mill that got banned. Their quote "AAAAANNNNDDD that is what chinese engineering gets you."

G

i heard they banned anyone with modded firmware, whether or not they used a pirated disc. is that true?

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
I was reading through ads on craigslist when I noticed one by a guy who in his own words,"Help! I've gotten my girlfriends XBox banned, can anyone help me fix this before she finds out?"

I don't think he understands that the account is banned, not just the Xbox. I know a few gamer girls, and if I was this dude I'd leave the country...quickly.

G

Is it really possible to mod your xbox to play on live for free?

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm so happy, I think i'm going to cry. So did everyone that had a modded xbox get banned. Did you have to be logged into xboxlive that day to be banned? I have a few "friends" that have modded xboxes. They always called me stupid for buying games(this is why I hate pirates). If they got banned I'd love to say "who's the stupid now" ahaha :) (I buy all of my games on craigslist. COD WAW for $10. Why would I pirate)

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]They ban the consoles, not the users.[/citation]

Last I heard they can/will/have banned Live accounts aswell.

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
All this generation knows is to use, not create. When they can't create, they steal or think things should be given to them for free.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
[citation][nom]DeviantSeev[/nom]Is it really possible to mod your xbox to play on live for free?[/citation]

No. Unless you hack M$ server.
Word of advice: do not play live when you mod-pirate. Simple as that.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
The risk was always there. I've never really understood pirates who try to play online. Pirating a game so that you can play solo on your computer is one thing but trying to play online with it just seems a bit silly because you're so easily traced.

Here's an interesting story on the BBC about this where they interviewed a 25 year old gamer called Raz who's distraught at being banned: http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_10000000/newsid_10002900/10002915.stm

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
..Hope Slayer 11/12/2009 4:34 PM Hide Insert quote.
-0+ .
hixbot :

They ban the consoles, not the users.

Last I heard they can/will/have banned Live accounts aswell

first guy is right. it is the console and not the account

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I am perfectly fine with people with pirated content getting banned. If by some chance a poor soul who wasnt willing to pay 100 dollars for a 60GB hard drive got nixed in the process because he "modded" in his own I would think MS were @$$holes.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]unifiedonboarddecoder[/nom]they just lost atleast 10 million a month.[/citation]

$10 million a month? How in the world did you come up with that figure?

If anything this will be profitable for Microsoft because if the people want to continue playing Xbox they'll have to acquire a new system and buy a new Xbox Live account.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Interesting...

If it is the xbox that is banned, I wonder if craigslist is going to be flooded w\ more $100 xbox 360's...

What exactly do they use to ban the xbox? Are they banning by mac address? or do the xboxes have another unique identifier aside from their mac address of their network card?

Status
Not open for further replies.