Report: Amazon Wipes Woman's Kindle Without Explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Don't know about the laws in Eurpoe, but unless this woman received a full refund for her purchases, Amazon has a massive lawsuit on its hands. Unless this woman "bought" books then canceled the charges through her credit company she's gonna win. Imagine if you paid-in full for your car, and the dealer had it repo'd anyway.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
"the fact that Amazon had the ability to delete books that customers had paid for"

This is why you RESEARCH the product you are paying for folks...

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Don't know about the laws in Eurpoe, but unless this woman received a full refund for her purchases, Amazon has a massive lawsuit on its hands. Unless this woman "bought" books then canceled the charges through her credit company she's gonna win. Imagine if you paid-in full for your car, and the dealer had it repo'd anyway.[/citation]

Exactly...

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Contrary to popular belief, big companies don't normally get things wrong.
In all likelyhood she knew exactly what she was doing, she just didn't know her other accounts would be banned too.

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
linked to another account that was closed for abusing Amazon policies
The don't abuse the Amazon policies - I mean come on! DRM is here to stay, and the guy who got $150K because of losing notes -- RTFM -- "Annotations Backup."

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Whether they got it right or wrong, it doesn't matter. Nobody has the right to take back what they've sold you. Amazon doesn't control distribution rights after the product is sold. They can't choose to maintain those rights even if you agree to the terms. Once a product is sold, it belongs solely to the person who purchased it. They can delete the accounts, they can delete the stuff held in storage on the accounts, but there is simply no excuse for deleting the stuff stored on the device. That's the same as breaking into a remote computer.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Contrary to popular belief, big companies don't normally get things wrong.In all likelyhood she knew exactly what she was doing, she just didn't know her other accounts would be banned too.[/citation]

Right... She must have been holding it wrong (Apple reference)?

Big companies get things wrong all the time... then they just cover it up as best they can as a form of damage control, possibly factored in originally in their risk analysis.
Big pharma has med FDA recalls constantly. Auto recalls happen a lot too. Just two examples, not even in the same industry.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Don't know about the laws in Eurpoe, but unless this woman received a full refund for her purchases, Amazon has a massive lawsuit on its hands. Unless this woman "bought" books then canceled the charges through her credit company she's gonna win. Imagine if you paid-in full for your car, and the dealer had it repo'd anyway.[/citation]

maybe her son or such is committing fraud... law wont defend that. she might be playing stupid... i'm not gonna come to a conclusion w one side of the story.

G

If its Apple that did it, I'm sure nobody would be saying that the woman is in the wrong. ;)

timw03878

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]"the fact that Amazon had the ability to delete books that customers had paid for"This is why you RESEARCH the product you are paying for folks...[/citation]

Totally agree.
Ignorance is not an excuse.

people are so quick to shell out money for houses without reading the fine line..
they certainly aren't bright enough to do it for a kindle...

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
For no reason or because no one's bothered to read the entire policy? With services like this sort (or any subscription type) you should really the policies so you're not violating anything and end up in these situations. If I'm not mistaken the policy is if you're a Norway customer you must use Amazon UK, not Amazon US...for tax reasons and publishing rights (some publishers only allow Amazon to sell in certain territories for example).

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
How do we know this woman is even telling the whole story? Maybe it wasn't her, maybe someone got a hold of her CC and abused Amazon's policy

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Just skip companies that treat it's customers like that. Vote with the wallet and don't deal with abusers.
-IvanTO

ven1ger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Contrary to popular belief, big companies don't normally get things wrong.In all likelyhood she knew exactly what she was doing, she just didn't know her other accounts would be banned too.[/citation]

Oh come on, no company no matter their size is as infallible as the next. They are all run by people who makes mistakes. Larger companies have more people and are just as prone to run into more mistakes just because of the number of fallible people that work in the company. If companies (big) didn't make mistakes, then why do we need civil courts?

Look at all the manufacturer recalls for car makers, toys, furniture, appliances, etc, guess those weren't mistakes. Even banks make mistakes, several of which I have to take the time to clear up.

There could be a good chance that two people with the same name living in different countries could have been mistaken for each other. Considering how Amazon is acting, and if she is innocent, that she sues Amazon for the aggravation and gets a big lawsuit because the only way for big companies like this to mend their ways is by lawsuits.

Btw, I purchase a lot from Amazon, so it isn't that I dislike them, I just dislike anyone treating a person like they are with this woman, if they claim she did something wrong then they should explain exactly what they think she did wrong so that she has a chance to defend herself.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I'm with others, when it comes to stories like this, often times the person is not the angel they are pretending to be.

It could easily be someone else was doing the scamming, but ToS don't care who does something with your account unless it was hacked.

If someone you gave access to did something against the ToS that is your fault.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
People make mistakes... Companies are run by people....therefore, companies make mistakes.

It's very possible that 2 people with the same name had accounts with Amazon and this lady really is innocent. I've had that happen with services in the past.

It's also possible that this lady is lieing about what happened.

Until we get more details....we don't know exactly what really happened.

I know a guy that had that exact thing happen... He paid off his car Monday....Friday the dealer filed repo paperwork.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
This is exactly why I will not buy any Amazon tablet.
I will not have a company reserve the right to remotely mess with what is on my machine without so much as a court order and me having an option to state my side of the dispute (if there even is one).

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Right... She must have been holding it wrong (Apple reference)?Big companies get things wrong all the time... then they just cover it up as best they can as a form of damage control, possibly factored in originally in their risk analysis.Big pharma has med FDA recalls constantly. Auto recalls happen a lot too. Just two examples, not even in the same industry.[/citation]

I know it looks bad, but this is really rare.
Considering the millions (sometimes tens or hundreds of millions) of users, a few hundred issues is nothing.

We only make a big deal out of this when media comes out with the news, if we read about it somewhere nobody would give a damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.