Report: Apple Working on 42- and 50-inch TVs Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Though I don't really like Apple, I love the idea of being able to just buy the shows you want to watch. I have to pay over $80 a month for DirecTV just to watch a few shows.

What I would really like to see is the ability for the Apple TV to allow users to pay for individual channels. So you could pay $5/month for FX and maybe $7 for FOX. So if you watch a lot on only a few network, you figure you could buy FX,FOX,NBC,ABC you would pay like $25 a month, and then the few extra shows you could buy individually, and have the ability to rent the shows instead of buying them.

AIstudio

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
So apple want to call these iTV devices. I am sure that the actual ITV, itv or iTV (however you want to spell it will have an issue with this naming for 1!!!!
Try typing itv into google and see who is at the top of the list. NOT apple that's for sure.
The other things is the hand gestures and face recognition, being able to say "play music" etc. Is this not already being done with kinect on the Xbox360??
Seeing as though Apple are the ones that sue competition unfairly I suggest that if Apple tries to bring this in with this naming regime etc that I hope these other companies SUE their ass's off!!!!
You can already do all this with a media centre that is but a mere tiny box ;o) No restrictions on it wither and you can customize and add things as and when you desire :eek:)

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Nice. Though I expect the TV to cost around 2x than that of competitors one thing is very welcome - iOS or any operating system. Plenty of TV providers done their Smart TVs that are nowhere near being smart + Google TV with great idea and dull implementation. Apple as always, thinks outside the box. TV + OS = entertainment tool. Thumbs up for the idea. That will push lazy Smart TV manufacturers to produce something usefull.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Sounds interesting, but consuming anything Apple is immoral and a blatant violation of the promotion of open standards and consumer freedom.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
And of course these will cost an arm and a leg, probably a kidney as well.
Still that will not stop the iFags from lining up to buy them.

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Who cares; it'll be a 1000 dollars more than a regular tv because it's Apple. I'm perfectly alright with my $750 Vizio LCD 1080i TV I bought back 6 years ago

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Those will probably cost enough to buy a nice car.

Apple is once more taking its award-winning route of doing what everyone else does (i.e. gesture recognizing), plastering a big Apple logo... and selling it like it's ultimate cutting-edge technology. And what makes me sick is that people line up to buy it.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]KawiNinjaZX[/nom]What I would really like to see is the ability for the Apple TV to allow users to pay for individual channels. So you could pay $5/month for FX and maybe $7 for FOX. So if you watch a lot on only a few network, you figure you could buy FX,FOX,NBC,ABC you would pay like $25 a month, and then the few extra shows you could buy individually, and have the ability to rent the shows instead of buying them.[/citation]
This.

I would love for this to happen, since I would only care to pay for about 4 channels.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I hate the idea of built in hardware on the TV. A TV should last a good 10 - 12 years. There is no way this build in hardware is going to last that long. If they want to sell something that I connect to my TV, then fine. But a tv with built in hardware is fail sauce.

BNOVA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hmm....will be interesting to see the first Apple product that Steve Jobs has not added his final touches to it.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Apple Troll Master[/nom]Wait! Wait! How about a Siri operated Baday? Any takers? That would be pretty sweet..."Siri rinse my ass please."[/citation]
Sure, if you don't mind it collecting "information" and sending it to Apple :p

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
BTW - can you imagine how much one of these TVs would cost?

Big HDTVs alone are pricey. Now, add cameras, iOS and SIRI....

It'll be the Segway all over again. Nobody but rich people will buy it.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]Sure, if you don't mind it collecting "information" and sending it to Apple[/citation]
lol.
....pri pri pri pri piri ti ti ti.... scan complete... Rinse done.. There is no useful information here.. ..
B. tt hole line map complete......
sent to apple headquater.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]KawiNinjaZX[/nom]Though I don't really like Apple, I love the idea of being able to just buy the shows you want to watch. I have to pay over $80 a month for DirecTV just to watch a few shows. What I would really like to see is the ability for the Apple TV to allow users to pay for individual channels. So you could pay $5/month for FX and maybe $7 for FOX. So if you watch a lot on only a few network, you figure you could buy FX,FOX,NBC,ABC you would pay like $25 a month, and then the few extra shows you could buy individually, and have the ability to rent the shows instead of buying them.[/citation]
That is not up to Apple, it's ultimately up to whomever distributes the broadband. If, say, Comcast opposes this model (likely they will), they will block content distribution via their cable broadband division. They already pushed that for Netflix, and will do the same for anyone else, Apple included. They would only go for it if there was enough revenue in that for them, charging extra for individual channels and that cost will be translated to the end-user. I agree current TV packages are full of crap, but a la carte tv might cost you more than you think.
Besides, if that were to be allowed, what would stop the end-user to go and buy directly from the producer the particular program he/she wants to watch? He/she could buy, say, Discovery Channel directly from Discovery and not pay any third party, including Apple, extra fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.