Report: GM Green Lights Hybrid Cadillac

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Hydrogen sucks. Why the heck would I want to drive to a station to get my fuel anymore? I'd rather just plug it into the wall. Fuel cell cars are electric anyways, so you're an idiot.

The only hydrogen powered car I'd use would be one that could reverse the fuel cell and create hydrogen out of electricity. But, I'm pretty sure a battery is more efficient at the moment. Batteries also don't have their energy vaporize(literally) in 1 months time.

F-hydrogen.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]Hydrogen sucks. Why the heck would I want to drive to a station to get my fuel anymore? I'd rather just plug it into the wall. Fuel cell cars are electric anyways, so you're an idiot.The only hydrogen powered car I'd use would be one that could reverse the fuel cell and create hydrogen out of electricity. But, I'm pretty sure a battery is more efficient at the moment. Batteries also don't have their energy vaporize(literally) in 1 months time.F-hydrogen.[/citation]
Actually, more than 99% of Universe is hydrogen, so you are using hydrogen-generated energy right now (from the sun). So, you are the idiot.
All forms of energy that mankind have used and is using now are solar energy stored on Earth at some point in the past or being transformed in other forms of energy (wind, solar). See above.
Try to get more info before calling others idiots.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]you can fuel your hydrogen powered car at home...[/citation]But is then the hydrogen stored safely in the car? I'm not sure I want a blazing ride to heaven/hell each time I crash my car and the hydrogen tank explodes. :)

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]Hydrogen sucks. Why the heck would I want to drive to a station to get my fuel anymore? I'd rather just plug it into the wall. Fuel cell cars are electric anyways, so you're an idiot.The only hydrogen powered car I'd use would be one that could reverse the fuel cell and create hydrogen out of electricity. But, I'm pretty sure a battery is more efficient at the moment. Batteries also don't have their energy vaporize(literally) in 1 months time.F-hydrogen.[/citation]Wow. Ignorance must be bliss. How do you think that magical electricity is supplied to that outlet you want to plug your car into? (don't answer, I'll tell you) It's created by burning limited natural resources. Electric cars of this type are no better than the misunderstood hybrid cars, both of which use batteries that take a lot of energy to produce and are a disaster to dispose of. Hybrid cars are a joke, and that smug look on the drivers' faces makes me laugh at them. They apparently have no idea what a pointless waste of money their technology is.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Okay the Chevy volt is supposed to have a 0-60 time of 8.6-9.0 seconds. Who's going to spend $40,000-50,000 on Cadillac coupe that pokey? These buyers want 0-60 times of under 6.5-7 seconds. I foresee another Catera-like flop.

factoryfast

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
The idea of hydrogen is great. Unfortunately, actually using hydrogen as a mainstream automotive fuel source poses many problems. A huge amount of energy is required to compress hydrogen gas to the level needed for use in a vehicle. Unless this energy comes from renewables or nuclear power plants, hydrogen doesn't fix our fossil fuel problem. Currently, hydrogen fuel cells don't work well in cold weather. This may improve with time, but for now, it's a drawback. Although each generation of fuel cell uses less platinum, they still use a lot of a very scarce resource likely unsuitable for mass adoption. Even with these expensive materials, fuel cells currently need to be entirely replaced every 50,000 miles. Lastly, unlike electricity, hydrogen has virtually no delivery infrastructure.

@ Pei-chen Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles also use lithium ion batteries to supplement the fuel-cell and to recapture energy from regenerative braking. Many electric cars have quick charge capability to greatly reduce recharge time. You highly underestimate the mileage possible with EV's and greatly overestimate the mileage of current hydrogen vehicles (Tesla Roadster = 244 miles per charge, Honda FCX Clarity = 280 miles per tank).

@ Martel80 - The hydrogen fuel tanks of today are incredibly robust. Usually carbon fiber, they are tested to withstand bullet permeation and pass collision requirements without issue.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kikireeki[/nom]The car looks a badass, but the whole Green-cars fever thing is a rather joke![/citation]"Green-cars" need to become a reality, but hybrids and electrics are not really green. It's an illusion to get people to think they are saving the planet and therefore willing to spend a small fortune of a premium for the technology. Oil companies still profit from electric cars because many power plants are burning natural gas to create the electricty. A hydrogen fuel cell would make a green car.

factoryfast

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
The Volt is tuned for maximum efficiency. Using the same powertrain, the Cadillac could be tuned for more performance by sacrificing all-electric range and generator mode MPG. Still, in my opinion, I don't see much market demand for this car. Only time will tell if it actually makes it to showrooms.

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
The biggest problem with Hydrogen right now is the lack of infrastructure. Sure people could but a machine for home use, but how many people have an extra $2000 to tack onto their car purchase? Also who has the space to put it anywhere? And how many people would WANT it there? Without a wide spread distribution network like gasoline, hydrogen wouldn't catch on. The real appeal of plug in hybrids is that you don't have to do anything at home different. You use a standard household outlet and away you go for generally up to 40 miles without gas.

That brings up the case of American power generation. We don't use much oil to generate electricity in the US. Mostly its coal (which we don't import) natural gas (which we import very little and burns much cleaner than coal) nuclear (which is much cleaner than natural gas with the exception of the hazardous waste) and hydroelectric (very clean power). Therefore, using one of these other forms of electricity generation over burning gasoline is a much better alternative than not doing anything. In the near future, plug in hybrids are a viable option but they are by no means an end all solution as long as they continue to use fossil fuels to generate the electricity (both in the charging and the extended range). Anything that can quadruple the current MPG rating of a vehicle (most plug-ins get in the 100mpg range vs. 25 mpg average for standard car) is a huge step toward reducing fossil fuel consumption.

The other problem is that cars are too big and heavy. No one truly needs a ford excursion ALL the time. Even 4 door passenger cars are becoming extremely bloated. Reduce the mass of the car and MPG increases dramatically. That should be another focus of auto manufacturers. Reduce the weight of cars.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]factoryfast[/nom]Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles also use lithium ion batteries to supplement the fuel-cell and to recapture energy from regenerative braking. Many electric cars have quick charge capability to greatly reduce recharge time. You highly underestimate the mileage possible with EV's and greatly overestimate the mileage of current hydrogen vehicles (Tesla Roadster = 244 miles per charge, Honda FCX Clarity = 280 miles per tank).@ Martel80 - The hydrogen fuel tanks of today are incredibly robust. Usually carbon fiber, they are tested to withstand bullet permeation and pass collision requirements without issue.[/citation]

Didn't tests of the Tesla show that it had the reliability of a Ford Pinto.

Status
Not open for further replies.