Report: Microsoft's ARM-based Surface Tablet to Cost $600

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Although Microsoft's ARM tablet definitively looks more appealing than the vast majority of iOS/Android tablets, it is simply priced to high to succeed.
Launch prices need to be around $400 (including a keyboard/case) to help Windows RT gain traction in the market.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I just saw the ad in surface's website, and I must say that I'm impressed.

But 600 USD is a little too much for my pocket anyway

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
We only have to wait three more months for the privilege to pay $600 for last year's tech. Oh, goody!

At least the keyboard cover is included in the price... right?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Do you buy an Android or Apple at a lower price then spend additonal money getting Apps that replicate the tasks that you do with software for Windows that you have already purchased
Or do you pay slighty more for the hardware but take full advantage of your existing purchased (or not) software collection
OK it's a personal choice but it's always a factor when you are buying

G

Microsoft's ARM-tablets will cost you an arm... plus your leg on an IB version...

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
For me, the x86 version could replace both my laptop and my TF201. $800 isn't unreasonable considering it's less than an Ultrabook, has a touchscreen, and will be able to use Windows 8's Metro interface like no standard non-touch PC can. As a fan of Windows phones (as well as Metro), I'm sure the two will jibe perfectly too. I hope I'll be able to tether a Windows Phone 8 to it for non-wifi connectivity. Looks like the wife and daughter are getting hand-me-downs for Christmas! :D

I think this is finally the device I've been waiting for. Standard laptops won't pair up with W8 well, Android tablets are a PITA sometimes, and iPads are for children and the non tech-savvy. Bring it on!!!

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
If it comes with a version of office bundled on the ARM version then that would be useful for some light use. Not sure what else it'll come with to add all that value, never paid anything on my phone for the usual social networking stuff etc.

Still on the bright side...it might actually make WIndows 8 usable:)

G

I don't see the appeal of a netbook with a floppy keyboard that can't run regular Windows apps or be competitively priced.

G

Microsoft to ditch the licensing fees for Win 8 pro and Win RT to keep partners happy? Well what's the point of having partners then if they won't generate any sales revenue for you?

jay2tall

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
$600? maybe for the 64GB RT model. For $500 and the 32GB and the cover, etc I might consider it. $400 would give this more market penetration. $500 is still a little steep for a tablet for me.

wtstro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Well, if these prices are accurate, so much for taking on Apple. I would think coming into the tablet market SO LATE they would want to make a big statement. $600 - $800 is a big statement, but in the wrong direction.

raringcoder

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
[citation][nom]__Fill__[/nom]I don't see the appeal of a netbook with a floppy keyboard that can't run regular Windows apps or be competitively priced.[/citation]Sounds like the iPad.

raringcoder

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
But still, way over-priced considering it has a massive reliance on the Windows app store filling with useful stuff in future, at least the Win8 Pro variant can run standard Windows apps regardless of market traction in the app store.

G

New Ipad 32gb = $599 Rumored orice for new Surface RT 32 GB = $599. So what is the issue here? Do not forget to take note that RT comes with Office Retail price = $120-150 depending on system.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
So the Surface RT will:
- come out 6 months after the new iPad,
- have a 1366 x 768 display,
- be incompatible with every existing Windows application
- have a much smaller app library than the competition
- use the same class of hardware as currently available Android tablets
- cost at least 20% more than the competition

That about right?

G

No no, $600 is too much for Arm hardware.

At these prices, i will finally make the jump and get an iPad!

Status
Not open for further replies.