Requesting advice on Amplifier for budget computer sound system

Gupta_

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
My old logitech computer speakers finally broke so am looking for a new computer audio solution. I decided to try doing a custom sound system for the first time instead of buying powered computer speakers again since I read that you can get more quality for the price.

For starters I am going to use an old pair of speakers from my super old Sony CFD-535 hi-fi system (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-CFD-535-PORTABLE-STEREO-CD-BOOMBOX-CASSETTE-AM-FM-VINTAGE-RADIO-DETACH-SPKR-/152042295469 for a picture - the speakers are removable from the center receiver unit). The reason I am not using the receiver from the hi-fi is there is no audio jacks apart from the green headphone jack in the front, which I read shouldn't be used to connect to motherboard computer speaker jack (Is that correct or can I just try plugging it in?)

So if I can't use that hi-fi receiver then I need to buy one. I figure I will get an amplifier since I won't need a radio/remote or other features from a receiver ever. My research showed Lepai LP-2020TI as a good budget option (https://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020TI-Instruments-TPA3118-Amplifier/dp/B071FJF4FF/ref=sr_1_1) for $25 but I have concerns buying what appears to be a generic chinese brand product. I usually buy name brand stuff for reliability.

Can anyone recommend a good amplifier for a budget system that has some longevity so if I buy a pair of better speakers in the future I will still be able to reuse this amplifier? Or is the LP-2020TI really a good choice even though its a generic chinese product? I want something that will last 5 years+. To give you an idea of my budget, I would like to spend under $120 on the amplifier and in the future I might spend as much as $150 on a new set of speakers. Here is a Sony STRDH130 receiver that looks alright to me for $120 (https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH130-Channel-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B006U1VH2S/ref=sr_1_1) but I'd rather spend less on just an amplifier since I don't need the receiver features.

edit: Here is my computer motherboard in case it is relevant: Asus B150 Pro Gaming/Aura (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/B150-PRO-GAMING-AURA/)

Solution
1. You are correct you can't use an output as an input.
2. You can't expect longevity for $25. You can't expect a lot of sound quality either but it would be fine for those speakers. Get you started for now.
3. Receivers are made in larger quantities than amps so the useless features don't really cost anything. Potentially an amp will sound better than the receiver but those speakers aren't good enough for you to worry about that. With a $120 budget I would suggest you find a used audio amplifier (integrated which has controls) or basic (only has 1 input and maybe volume controls). A used entry level audiophile amp would have more potential for new speakers when you get them.
1. You are correct you can't use an output as an input.
2. You can't expect longevity for $25. You can't expect a lot of sound quality either but it would be fine for those speakers. Get you started for now.
3. Receivers are made in larger quantities than amps so the useless features don't really cost anything. Potentially an amp will sound better than the receiver but those speakers aren't good enough for you to worry about that. With a $120 budget I would suggest you find a used audio amplifier (integrated which has controls) or basic (only has 1 input and maybe volume controls). A used entry level audiophile amp would have more potential for new speakers when you get them.

Solution

Gupta_

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
Thanks for the education. I think I will just grab the cheap LP-2020TI for now if its good enough for those hi-fi speakers I have and wait until I find something nice on the used market or a black friday sale or such. I was paranoid some generic Chinese product would start a fire or something but there are so many good reviews for it so it must be pretty decent.

Just a quick question - for connecting that LP-2020TI to my computer I could use either RCA -> 3.5mm or 3.5mm -> 3.5mm. Is there any difference between the 2?