Researchers build 'SpeechJammer' Gun to Shut People Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
And THIS is exactly what happens when someone I'm talking to on a primitive non-smartphone has it on speaker phone mode! Everything is repeated back to me about 1/2 second after I say it, I can barely talk. it's kind of how police use strobe lights to stop people from moving, a mind block.

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Very tough to do! I toyed with the idea in college when I was studying electronics and sound engineering. I took the idea from noise cancelling earphones, as I was driven demented by screaming teenagers, deafening repetitive trance/lady gaga on repeat and obnoxious phonecalls from gossips who told their life story every day on the bus.
Principal was simple, sound was captured by a mic and played back out of phase by a speaker at the same volume - cancelling out all the background or ambient sound.
My problem was that it always ended up that the mic picked up on what the speaker produced and inevitably ended up feeding back (tested in a room the size of a bus it never worked, large open spaces work best!) How they tackled this I have no idea, but its a doozey!

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Sounds interesting, but I'm sure the person holding the device will get his a$$ kicked for using it against the wrong person. It's not worth the hassle, but interesting nonetheless. Kudos for trying. :)

G

Collie, that's because you were probably using a standard speaker for audio playback. This is one f those directional speakers that actually focuses the sound into a tight, constrained "beam," much like a laser as compared to an ordinary light. That's why it must be pointed directly at their faces, or they simply wouldn't hear it. And neither does anyone else- which is why it's so awesome!!!!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Even if it worked perfectly, it can be defeated easily if the person speaking has earplugs or is listening to something else with ear buds or headphones.

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
This is sad...... whatever happened to freedom of speech? there won't any home versions of this, this is meant to silence people who speak out against government and corruption.

The technology itself is scary too, read up on it, the power hungry elite are just another few steps closer to a form mind control.

This crap makes me want to live off the grid.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]ANNOYING ORANGE[/nom]does this work on politicians[/citation]
This wouldnt affect a politician.. You need a brain for this to have any affect on you..

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]sregeg[/nom]my co-worker's aunt makes $88/hour on the laptop. She has been without a job for 8 months but last month her check was $14831 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Here's the site to read more lazycash42.com[/citation]

Does this "my coworkers aunt" nonsense work? So we are expected to believe that there is a way to make "lazycash", yet you still just go to work at your regular nonlazy job.

Make me beleive your story, don't insult us with these horrible scam attempts; I can at least appreciate a decent scam.

Tell us about how you had a horrible job, when your coworker quit out of the blue. Concerned, you contacted him, and he invited you to lunch to explain everything. You meet at the address he gave you, and quickly realize this establishment is far outside of your means. You reluctantly enter to find your friend at a large table with a buxom associate.

A mere week ago the person sitting across from you couldnt afford anything more than a prepaid cellphone, which was always out of minutes, and the luxury of a buss pass so he no longer had to walk the five miles to work; you can easily tell that his sun glasses alone, cost more than your 400 hoopty.

After a long moment of wordless staring, he nods to you, snapping you out of the trance. "You are wondering how all this is possible". Smiling, he reveals his secret, "My aunt showed me this website, and now im gonna show you, but there is a catch; you know i love Tom's Hardware, if I show you this secret, you must spread the wisdom to them."

Now here you are, two weeks later, sitting on a chair made of dollars; the only thing worth more than the money you make with lazycash, is your word.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
My cell phone company has had this technology for years. Every once in a while while I'm talking to someone I hear myself in reverb about 1/2 a second later. Its really annoying. I can only get a few sentences before I give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.