Question Resolution NIGHTMARE.

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Hello all.

Desperately seeking help because I am literally pulling my hair out over this at this point.

To make a really long story short, I've used a 2-port KVM switch successfully on an ultra-wide monitor for a while now. Each of the two laptops were set at 3440-1440 with no problem. I wanted to add a third and bought a KVM Switch which I was utterly convinced, did not work.
https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/not-sure-if-in-correct-category-4-port-kvm-switch-help.463843/

Well, upon giving up on it earlier today, I hooked up my HDMI cable directly to the new monitor I was testing it on one final time (not the one I was originally trying to get everything to work on) and to one of the laptops. WELL, that didn't work EITHER. SO, I was convinced that all the issues HAVE to do with the resolution settings. Unfortunately, besides the resolution problems, despite having that laptop set to Do Nothing when closing the lid, it kept turning off both the monitor and laptop screen when closed - but I am getting ahead of myself here. Before it did that, I had to play with A LOT of different resolutions until I finally got any type of picture on the new monitor. The picture was not perfect though. The resolution still made items too big on the new monitor despite choosing, extended, cloned, single, etc. ANYWAY, deciding that since I finally had a picture on SOMETHING other than the laptop itself, almost on a lark, I decided to plug it into the 4-port KVM Switch I had just given up on - AND LO AND BEHOLD!!! IT WORKED on the monitor I wanted it to work on!

Okay ... kind of. :)

NOW I have the three laptops showing up on the one monitor and can switch between them with the little switcher buttons.

The PROBLEM is that all THREE are just small little windows in the middle of this big screen and I cannot figure out how to change the resolution through the Intel Graphics thingy OR MS's Display Properties BECAUSE I now have ONLY two resolutions to pick from: 1024x768 and 800x400! I tried changing to a Custom Resolution in the Intel Graphics panel (3440x1440 which I know works on these laptops because they were all set to that when each was connected to the other, older 2-port KVM switch) but it won't let me, saying that the bandwidth (?) would be exceeded no matter what number I put in the Refresh rate.

I need help. Honestly, I don't know how I typed this, seeing as the font on the laptop I am typing it on which I dare not disconnect now in fear of losing the picture, is TINY. Seriously, the o is smaller than the size of the head of a pin.

Any thoughts PLEASE? Oh, I also found something about changing the resolution through regedit and did it, but it didn't do anything - maybe because I get confused on my Y and X axis'. Lol. Glad I didn't mess it up though. I'd link, but it's on another screen.

ANY HELP WOULD BE SO VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. Sorry for the caps but my eyes are starting to hurt.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Do you have the specific display drivers for your monitor installed on each laptop?
I think I do, as I downloaded and used them with the other KVM Switch and my Driver Installer program didn't pick the need for a driver up. That said, GOOD point. I am going to try and find it again and see if I need to reinstall or something. Thanks!

----
Downloaded successfully, installed successfully, still no new resolutions. :(
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6374?b=1&pn=MM.T3ZAA.003

Will reboot.

Last edited:

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Nada / nutting. In Intel still same too, but I had it on cloned displays. Changed to just this monitor '2' and now I still have a window which is in the middle of the screen but it is taller and things look bigger. Lol! OMG. This is crazy. I TRULY appreciate your patience.

In Windows Display properties resolutions are grayed out, I guess because I selected to clone to this one.

The driver package includes the following files:
Z35P.icm
DriverLanguageMap.xml
z35p.cat
Z35P.inf

I installed by right-clicking on .inf file and choosing install but device manager still sees two generic pnp monitors. So I clicked on the second one and went to update driver but when browsing to downloads folder where these files are is does not see anything to work with/install. Plus, I went back to cloned displays and in windows now there are three resolutions but everything is even tinier than before.

-----------------------------------
Do you think it is more a Windows issue or a monitor (Acer) issue? I may phone them but not looking forward to doing so. :/

Last edited:

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Sorry
Does the resolution work normally when you connect the laptop to the monitor directly? Since you are not getting the right resolution seen by the laptop that means the KVM is the issue.

Hello.

No. At first, the resolution was non-existent (black screen) on the monitor I wanted it on; and non-existent, then way off when connecting to the monitor I was testing it on. After kind of fixing the resolution on the tester monitor, plugged in all three laptops to it and connected it to the monitor I actually wanted it on and could only get small windows (on all three) in the middle of the monitor.

Stayed up all night until 5:00 a.m. today trying to figure it out to no avail, so finally gave in and hooked two laptops back in to my old KVM Switch and immediately, there were my trusty 3440x1440 resolutions on both. :) So yes, pretty sure it is that particular KVM Switch that I was trying to use.

If it helps anyone else ever going through the same thing, there are apparently some 'patches' out for AMD cards and Nvidia cards which supposedly allow non-compatible KVM Switches to suddenly work. I also came across a program called CRU which adds manual resolutions, and seemed promising but I couldn't get it to work - maybe I was just tired. In any case, it might help someone else. I'm done with the whole thing. In fact if I am ever tempted to give it another try and I post about this again, please, someone, delete my post. :D