"Restricted" phone calls that do not appear on my bill or caller ID list

marysoko

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I have been receiving calls that show up on my caller ID as "Restricted" and these calls do not show up on my caller ID list after I hang up. Nor do these calls show up on my phone bill at all (they are not listed as 999-999-9999 or anything else). There is, in effect, no record of these calls. Like other "mysterious" or ghost calls I have been reading about, there is never a voice or recording on the line. For a while, I assumed they were some kind of telemarketing scheme, so I ignored the calls altogether. Then I became curious and not only waited for a voice (human or robotic) to eventually start speaking. So far, I have been on line with "restricted" from about 2 minutes to a full 8 minutes, with nothing but silence. Again, there is no record of the call after I hand up. I have called Verizon--they have no record of these calls either. At first, Verizon suggested I buy their service package that would allow me to block "restricted" calls. I am not sure that would even work since there is no record of these calls at all. Verizon also suggested that I could change my phone number (not a particularly good option since I have had this number for many years. Finally, Verizon suggested I file a police report. I did so and about 2 hours later received the same type of call. I received one of these calls this morning and went to the police station with the line still open so the officer could actually see what I meant. He said there was nothing he could do right now. So I called Verizon again and they suggested that I reset my phone using the 228 method. I received the same sort of call about an hour later. In the meantime, as the police officer suggested, I put my number on the federal "do not call" registry. I did that today, but I am not optimistic.

Lunaluvsya

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014

Your phone has what is called a "fake call" feature. It is under settings,call, fake call. You can set it to call you from a restricted number or any name or number you want. No message plays now but you can also record a message to play when you answer. You activate the "fake call" by pushing the volume down button 4 times on the outside of your flip phone while it is closed. This almost drove me crazy and I have even read some people thought it was deceased love one calling them so I just wanted to post this for anyone who is getting these calls. You are telling your phone to call you without even knowing your doing it. Hope this helps.