Solved! RIP LAPTOP'S WIFI

Feb 19, 2019
so basically my laptop will not connect to the internet. all there is is a icon with the ethernet logo but with an x even though I connect through wifi

here's what happened today:

windows forced me to update.

i installed office 365 which my computer could not take for some reason....

then I went on to sign up for OneDrive(worked)

then I downloaded visual studio

then my taskbar went unresponsive and closed

then I restarted my PC

then I got this internet thingy.

then I tried System Restore..(it failed)

now it cannot un-update WITHOUT THE DAMN INTERNET.

now i'm here... stuck without internet

help

also, my computer's name is my name on toms guide.

Solution
NOTE: I answered "Yes" to your question above, because you really need one to test and see if it is just the WiFi that is the problem, or if it is more. Below are some steps to take to see if you can resolve the issue.

Also, when you did the restore, did you try just trying to restore to a restore date? One prior to the update? If not, that would be what I would try first, to see if it removes the update. Also try checking what was changed in the update. If drivers were changed, you may have to go and get the old ones to resolve the problem.

Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless...
NOTE: I answered "Yes" to your question above, because you really need one to test and see if it is just the WiFi that is the problem, or if it is more. Below are some steps to take to see if you can resolve the issue.

Also, when you did the restore, did you try just trying to restore to a restore date? One prior to the update? If not, that would be what I would try first, to see if it removes the update. Also try checking what was changed in the update. If drivers were changed, you may have to go and get the old ones to resolve the problem.

Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "WiFi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your WiFi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your modem/router, and then once it is fully loaded again, repeat the above steps.

If this doesn't work, test seeing if your laptop will connect via Ethernet. If so, then your WiFi card may be going. You can either look to replace it/have it replaced, or get an external (plugs in via USB) WiFi card.

Another way to try it is to...

1. Go to "Settings".
  2. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
  3. Now click "Manage known networks".
  4. Select the WiFi connection you want to remove.
  5. Click the "Forget" button.
  6. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.
  7. Once the computer is fully reloaded again go to "Settings".
  8. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
  9. Now click "Manage known networks".
  10. Click "Add a new network" and enter the network name.
  11. Using the drop-down menu, select the "network security type".
  12. Check the "Connect automatically" option.
  13. Now check the "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting" option and click "Save".

Once you have completed these steps, whenever the device is within range of that particular network, it should automatically connect to it.

Also, you might want to check that both your modem/router doesn't have a limitation on how many devices can be connected at once (they do have that option in most cases) and also your ISP. Some of them limit the number of devices.

Solution