Roku Screen Mirroring Isn't Ready for Prime Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
This article sums up my own experience with every Miracast device I've tried until now. I dislike apple devices for many reasons, but I must recognize that airplay, Apple TV etc have been around for years and work perfectly ... if you accept to be stuck in a closed world. But at least if saves you from all frustrations you'll see in the what we believe is the open world ;-)

I've never seen a miracast device that works in a reliable way and with a user guide and GUI that looks a bit professional. It's truly junk !
The only thing that's more promising is a Chromecast key: it's easy to setup, reliable and looks great but ...
- nothing for Windows phones
- can't/won't play many codecs (AC3 audio / DTS / ... files have to be transcoded or recoded to play on this thing, which makes the interaction with DSVideo (synology) rather complicated).
- Synology for example will let you throw video or audio at it, but no photos.
- In windows you are limited to clone a chrome tab on the screen, but it's no true screen mirroring.

... Still waiting that someone comes up with a truly universal (and efficient) system before I change my TV to some smart TV that will be able to make good use of media servers and mobile devices. There are some models out there, but I wanted to keep this outside the TV, just use it as a monitor as those features evolve at a rate much faster than the rate at which we buy TV's (and I don't believe that any TV manufacturer will push firmware updates to stay up to date ... they normally want you to buy a new one every now and then eventhough you don't need it!).

scuba1954

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I have a windows desktop PC with 8,1 and I wanted to try screen mirroring with my roku3. I tried to follow the intructions from Roku and from here regarding using my PC but when I got the bar on the right side of my screen to come up I would choose the devices button then project but I never would see any add devices option. I would have to go to change PC setting then PC then devices. The first time I did this my PC found the roku. I clicked add then the roku screen said it us loading a video but it froze. I unplugged and then plugged it back in but now I can not find my pc no longer finds my ROKU3?? I have a second roku3 in my bedroom and my PC never has NEVER found this.

emk84

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
scuba1954 this is happening to me right now. You have to remove the device manually and try again. Control Panel>Devices and Printers. Right click on your Roku 3 and remove. Keep in mind...I have done this about 15 times and it continues to get stuck on loading video. Extremely frustrating.

scuba1954

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

I will try this when I get home. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.