Solved! Running a program over a network between Windows 10 and Linux

Mar 15, 2020
Good Evening,

So this should be interesting.
I have a Raspberry Pi4. I have a "home server" running Windows 10 Pro-n.
My plan was to make the Pi a workstation, running linux natively. I was hoping someone had come up with a way to which I could install a few programs on the W10 machine and run them from the W10 machine, but displayed on the Pi. I don't want to remote desktop into the Win10 machine....because then I might as well have that machine sitting in place of the Pi. I'd like to just run the programs across the network, if possible. I somewhat considered the idea, if it couldn't be done, of transitioning to making the Pi a Thin Client of sorts, but I don't know of any free software for doing so....I'm open to ideas.

Side note- if I were to just go with a Thin Client approach, how do I set up the virtual machine? I don't have a problem creating a machine and running it from something like Oracle's Virtual box...but that's running on the host's display and such...

thanks!

Solution
Meaning I’m not running Windows server so I don’t have to pay for that license at least. My thought was either running a virtual machine on the Windows 10 machine with windows 10 (I have an extra license for that), or connecting the raspberry pi via an x-window type service (preferable) to the actual Windows 10 machine so that I could run just the windows 10 programs that Linux doesn’t support. That secondary solution is actually what I really want.

I am pretty sure only the Server OS can run a thin client that boots off it.

Anything you want to run has to be run on the Pi unless you use remote desktop but then you are just looking at the Windows 10 system. You can take a look here also to try something...
Hmm. Even as a Windows 10
Machine?

Not sure what you mean there, if you want to use a server to boot a thin client from you need a license for that thin client. Windows 10 or not does not matter. Only advantage to using a thin client is that they are usually a bit cheaper than standard systems and the OS can be managed centrally. You can look up all the info you need for a server/thin client setup on Microsoft's web site.

Mar 15, 2020
Meaning I’m not running Windows server so I don’t have to pay for that license at least. My thought was either running a virtual machine on the Windows 10 machine with windows 10 (I have an extra license for that), or connecting the raspberry pi via an x-window type service (preferable) to the actual Windows 10 machine so that I could run just the windows 10 programs that Linux doesn’t support. That secondary solution is actually what I really want.

I am pretty sure only the Server OS can run a thin client that boots off it.

Anything you want to run has to be run on the Pi unless you use remote desktop but then you are just looking at the Windows 10 system. You can take a look here also to try something https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/install-windows-10-on-raspberry-pi,5993.html

Solution