Running windows 8.1 64 bit on legacy mode and getting BLACK screen after Nvidia driver update!!

AweBra

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Hi Guys Im in need of help I have been reading all the threats and forums about this problem but still cant seem to get it fix.

My main problem is that after I install the latest Nvidia driver my screen goes black after the windows sign boot up after the restart.

I have a Acer Aspire E15 (E5-572G) running on windows 8.1 64 bit installed in legacy mode. I tried to go back to windows 7 64 bit so I changed my laptop to MBR mode and installed windows 7. I struggled to find all the drivers after days of struggling and went back to windows 8.1 64bit. I tried to go back to GPT mode but couldnt install my windows 8.1 so I changed it back to MBR mode and installed my windows 8.1 64 bit in legacy mode without any problems. I installed all the necessary drivers but as soon as I try to update my Nvidia driver to the latest my screen goes black right after the windows logo restart. I have tried everything that ive read including uninstalling the previous drivers, changing the resolution while installing, installing previous driver versions and even downloading the driver from different websites (Acer, Nvidia, and Geforce Nvidia) but still getting the black screen after installing the graphics driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank You

Solution

Hi Guys, just an update. I took my laptop back to Acer as it was still under warranty as I tried everything to fix my black screen problem. It ended up being faulty motherboard that was crashing after I update the driver. They replaced my laptops motherboard and now everything...
Hi,

Have you tried doing a clean install of the Nvidia graphics driver?
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia driver.
- Next is to uninstall anything related to Nvidia in Programs and Features.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do test your laptop again and see if the same problem will persist.

AweBra

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Hi Thanks for your reply

I tried that already removed it from device manager then downloaded the latest copy from Nvidia and still got the same problem. I also tried clicking on advance install when prompt and choosing "clean" installation and still get the same problem

AweBra

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Hi Guys, just an update. I took my laptop back to Acer as it was still under warranty as I tried everything to fix my black screen problem. It ended up being faulty motherboard that was crashing after I update the driver. They replaced my laptops motherboard and now everything is fine again. I can update to the latest driver every time without any problems.

Solution