Russian Dev Finds Hack to Circumvent Paying for iOS Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Another idealist... Wake up - the capitalism is "EAT or BE EATEN" !
If they rip you off, then you should let them have it back: he should have made it freely available and maybe informe Rotten-Apple about it a year later!

LightningStryk17

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Sure, its cool and all to hate on apple and get apps for free, but the developers do not work for Apple and are using it as a platform to make money (to eat food). I am one of those developers and this annoys me.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]LightningStryk17[/nom]Sure, its cool and all to hate on apple and get apps for free, but the developers do not work for Apple and are using it as a platform to make money (to eat food). I am one of those developers and this annoys me.[/citation]
Geez, it's not enough that Apple keeps what, like 30% of your money, now you're caught in the middle on this, too. You can't win...
I feel for devs in similar position; here's an idea: change platform(s)!....

G

iOS developers - Be mad at Apple for providing such an easy loop-hole to be found. Not the hackers. He didn't have to release to mainstream public. Could have kept it underground, thus hurting your profits even more.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]LightningStryk17[/nom]Sure, its cool and all to hate on apple and get apps for free, but the developers do not work for Apple and are using it as a platform to make money (to eat food). I am one of those developers and this annoys me.[/citation]

Eh, don't worry about it. Some people suffer from an internet version of Tourettes Syndrom, and the word Apple is a trigger. It's generally easier to ignore them. And get a laugh at their expense.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006

I don`t hate them, but i think you should not ask money for the app, only for support. But apple and sony and others charge you for app and then for parts to improve the app... i don`t like them!
Remember Linux is free and is world-wide used, and there are developers who develop applications and drivers and you name it... for FREE ! They have all my respect!

busuan

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
It is like teaching kids how to sneak into a movie theater. It might be fun for some people. But it not a good thing and I hope people reading the story know better.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Geez, it's not enough that Apple keeps what, like 30% of your money, now you're caught in the middle on this, too. You can't win...I feel for devs in similar position; here's an idea: change platform(s)!....[/citation]
Apple created this system. I'm anti apple don't own any apple products. Their charging dollars for their apps. They can't get any $ from the sys they help set up?? They created it. They deserve a % from each app. They created the platform for the devs.... This is part of their S/W system otherwise they would just be charging $100's for each app.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]I don`t hate them, but i think you should not ask money for the app, only for support. But apple and sony and others charge you for app and then for parts to improve the app... i don`t like them!Remember Linux is free and is world-wide used, and there are developers who develop applications and drivers and you name it... for FREE ! They have all my respect![/citation]
FREE developed apps can't compete with apps which can make millions. Or apps which can make a independent developer $500,000 in a week. There is more motivation when money becomes involved.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]I don`t hate them, but i think you should not ask money for the app, only for support. But apple and sony and others charge you for app and then for parts to improve the app... i don`t like them!Remember Linux is free and is world-wide used, and there are developers who develop applications and drivers and you name it... for FREE ! They have all my respect![/citation]
Every app won't need support. Support would cost more what do you expect every developer to have a call center on stand by?? So you expect a dev to spend 4 yrs in college and donate their work time? Work for free?

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
This news is so old... http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/13/apples-in-app-purchasing-process-circumvented-by-russian-hacker/

There are now updates (that will appear on Tom's in a week)

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/16/apple-fighting-back-against-in-app-purchase-hack-but-service-still-operational/

Tom's - I love you, I've been with you from the start but you're starting to slip so the critique is meant with love :)

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]why hasn't anyone come up with an appropriate "in soviet russia..." joke about this yet?[/citation]

Thought the same thing ;)

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]There is more motivation when money becomes involved.[/citation]

As i`ve said: greed make the world spin.

Developers complain about this situation, but from users point of view.. do you refund them if your app has flaws in it?

If the application help user make money then i will agree with "code for money to buy food" point... but let`s face it: phone applications do not do that!

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]Every app won't need support. Support would cost more what do you expect every developer to have a call center on stand by?? So you expect a dev to spend 4 yrs in college and donate their work time? Work for free?[/citation]

I don`t think devs should be self-employed. And if they sell me a thing then they should have include support for it! That is their responsability and should be mandatory by law (at least for 1 month or so)! If they can`t afford it to then go work for firms who can... or give it free (of charge and responsability)!

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I find it funny that it is mostly foreigners who think that everything digital should be free. I think when you look at the stats for the amount of piracy per country it becomes greatly apparent. I support FOSS and have contributed to it myself but if developers want to charge for something they created then that is there right. They have my respect as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.