Safe Overclock for Radeon R9 270X

Andrew Buck

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
I have an MSI Radeon R9 270X and I finally figured out how to unlock voltage control (very easy for those who cannot figure out how to unlock a 270X's voltage, just go to options in Afterburner and change Reference Design to Standard MSI, it allows voltage control. It works.) and need help figuring out a safe voltage. I currently have it at 1.230 V (standard 1.206 V) and that allowed me to more stably overclock my core clock from 1150 MHz (default 1080 MHz) to 1200 MHz and memory from 1450 MHz to 1475 MHz, but I did have a blue screen. The temps were fine after about 15 minutes of playing (about 60-63 or so degrees Celsius). My power limit is also at 20% to achieve a high overclock. A bottleneck is not an issue for me, as I am running an FX-8320 at 4.5 GHz. I need to make sure everything will be okay and how a safe overclock will be, because I am not extremely experienced with overclocking, only really moving up the memory and core clock and power limit. I figure that the memory clock made the PC crash, but I also have run it stably up to around 1525 MHz for a while. I need help with finding the maximum safe overclock that I am able to achieve with my GPU. Another thing that is not really probable is the PSU not supplying sufficient wattage. I have a 750W 80+ Bronze PSU, so that shouldn't really do anything. I am getting a nice framerate boost, too, and think that this could benefit me very well. Thank you!

Andrew Buck

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

Ah. Afterburner lied when it let me change voltage. It showed it in the hardware monitor, but I looked in CPUID HWMonitor and it said only maximum 1.206 V. Thanks for the help.