Sager NP8130 / Clevo P151HM1 Windows 7 Registry Corrupt. Failed Registry Roll back.

ajwilkie

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015
My laptop fails to go beyond the windows logo on startup. The animation is moving, but it never loads. I'm pretty sure it happened after a windows update.

Startup Repair says:

Problem signature:
Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Signature1: 0.0.0.0
2: 0.0.0.0
3: unknown
4: 0
5: unknown
6: 1
7: unknown
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Root cause found:
Registry is corrupt.

Repair action: Registry roll back
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x3
Tim taken = 0 ms

System Restore:
Cannot find the file specified. (0x800700002)

System Image Recovery:
The system cannot find the path specified. (0x800700003)

Windows Memory Diagnostic also does not work.

I tried booting in Safe Mode, but that does not load as well. It loads a list of thing with the last one being CLASS.PSNP or along those lines and gets stuck saying "Please Wait..." at the bottom.

EDIT: I attempted the following solution but chose to not continue past step 7 since the command prompt was asking to confirm overwriting files using the xcopy command. I was not sure what this would do so I stopped there.:

1. Keep tapping F8 during the early boot phase.
2. Select Safe Mode Command Prompt from the menu.
3. Log on as Administrator if prompted.
4. Select Repair when prompted.
5. Select the Command Prompt.
6. Identify the correct drive letter for your Windows installation. It could be drive E: or F:. You do it by typing the commands dir C:\Win* dir D:\Win* dir E:\Win* until you find the Windows folder. I will call that drive "Q:".
7. Type these commands: cd /d Q:\windows\System32\config xcopy . Q:\RegBack\ cd RegBack dir
8. Examine the dates of the Software, System and SAM files. Were the files created before or after your problem became apparent?
9. If they were made before the problem became apparent then you can type these commands: copy /y software .. copy /y System .. copy /y Sam .. (the two dots are part of each command)
10. Reboot normally. If things do not work out then you can backtrack by copying the original registry files from Q:\Regback to Q:\Windows\System

If anyone has a solution to this that does not involve wiping the HD I would greatly appreciate it!