Sager NP8258 Idle Temp High

romee_might

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
Ok guys. Ive had this laptop for 6 months. Opened and cleaned nay dust at month 6. It cools very good. Max temps on cpu in stressing games are in 80's without any cooler... Other games 60's and 70's cecius.

My problem is at Idle, the temp of the cpu will rise up till 70 celsius which then the control center's fan profile i made will cut in and cool it down to 60 celsius and this repeats ove rn over.

At Idle i dont see why the cpu should be going up so much... and it is only cooled because of the fan profile setting, If not i bet it will continue to rise b4 the fans kick in.

is this normal? will the temps continue to rise without the fans coming on? or does it need the fan to keep it at a low idle temp ? im lost and confused.

i opted to have the IC diamond thermal paste from Xotic pc so i was expecting to see some lower temps on the cpu tbh.

The processor is I7 4710-MQ
Graphics Gtx 980m i believe that temp only rises up when idle because of heat transfer from the CPU.

Should I get some thermal paste and apply myself ? I need sugegstions because cpu at idle going up to 70C then needing the fan to kick in to cool dosent seem normal to me,

6 months no dust

romee_might

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015

Okay thank you. I guess that's the safest way to go.