Solved! Sager NP9262 Burning smell and smoke!

defender0802

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Hey everyone i need some help!!

I have a sager NP9262 and ive been smelling smoke/burning plastic slightly for a while now. Today mid-round in battlefield 3 it shut off and the light on the powersupply went out as well (still will not turn back on). When i plugged the 4 pin connector back into the laptop after about a minute i smelled burning plastic again but this time there was smoke coming out of the area near the 4 pin connector.

ALSO AS A NOTE: Recently i havent been able to get my power supply to work if the 4 pin is connected while plugging in the actual power supply to an outlet. i have to plug in the wall outlet connection first and THEN plug in the 4 pin side to the laptop.

Please someone tell me what the hell just happened ive never seen this before in all my years of building computers and working on them?!

Solution
it sounds like the hardware in your laptop is overdrawing the PSU or it's just a low quality/bad design psu.

when this shutoff happens, does the laptop still run on battery?

also check that there's nothing on the contacts surface that might impede the connection and cause resistance

I'd also check the temps of your laptop, this might not only be the PSU issue, although all seems to point toward the PSU.

defender0802

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
it was a very faint smell that i only noticed a few times for a very brief moment each before todays issues so i thought nothing of it. And im thinking its dead as well i just am trying to figure out the mechanism that fried it.

spasmolytic46

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

I'm guessing voltage regularity problems.. but its just a guess. Could have just been heat related death too.

AntiZig

Distinguished
it sounds like the hardware in your laptop is overdrawing the PSU or it's just a low quality/bad design psu.

when this shutoff happens, does the laptop still run on battery?

also check that there's nothing on the contacts surface that might impede the connection and cause resistance

I'd also check the temps of your laptop, this might not only be the PSU issue, although all seems to point toward the PSU.

Solution

defender0802

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
The laptop wont turn on and run on battery anymore so i cant check however when i was getting suspicious something like this would happen i checked the temps after an intensive application and they didnt reach above 65 on the cpu. No issues with things being on the 4 pin plug and outlet on the laptop itself that i could see also. Is it possible that something like this covered on manufacturer lifetime warranty?

Corning

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Oh that’s just a smoke test! You probably released all the smoke from the power supply, it’s pretty easy to fix, you have a few options, the best option is to tie a rope to it and use it as an anchor.

spasmolytic46

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

It is possible. Certainly worth at least calling and finding out.