Samsung Boot/BCD Error

filmsmurf

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
Our laptop is the RV511 and has been great until a couple days ago when we shut it down like always, then the next morning it would not boot and after a long wait, we get the error:
File: \Boot\Bcd
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

First, I went into F4 and did a system file restore in hopes it would rewrite the boot sector. No luck. Next, I created a bootable USB drive, went into the bios and made the USB port the first in the boot priority and was able to successfully boot to the flash drive. Then Samsung tells me there is no bios flash program and no updated bios file...I'm like, what?
Do you guys know where I can get my hands on a dos based flasher and this elusive "1401" bios?

filmsmurf

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
I've done some research on this error code and several people say to update the bios and the firmware on the drive. I would have thought the hd was failing too, but usually there is some clicking or throws of death sounds. I suppose its possibleit just died all at once but it does recognize in the bios, so at least it reports...

APassingMe

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014
Yeah it could be caused by bad firmware, but to fix it you will still need to do the normal repairs for a corrupted boot record or re-install. I would recommend doing a full scan of the hdd for errors and if it seems okay then proceeding with the necessary repairs or this might be a good time to upgrade to a ssd as those make a big difference in a laptop.

APassingMe

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014
Also I really doubt that this issue is caused by bad firmware in your case unless you found several people who have confirmed it as a firmware issue when using your model hdd (it would need to be the same batch too).