Samsung Laptop shutting off when GPU is taxed

SingedEyeballs

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
System model: NP900X4D, Windows 7 professional 64 bit

Problem:
Laptop powers off randomly without any warning while in games or under GPU stress.

Troubleshooting:

• ■ Using Samsung Recovery Solution 5, I reset the machine to factory defaults and used Samsung Update and Windows Update to get the system up and running again.
    ■ Ran Furmark and the CPU burner that comes with it; power off within 3 seconds of running GPU stress test and no problems with CPU burner.
    ■ Completely disassembled and cleaned laptop to rule out dust and re-applied thermal paste (Arctic MX-2).
    ■ CPU idle/full load: 55-60C / 87-92C
    ■ Tested with multiple games including Borderlands, World of Tanks, and RIFT. Power off behavior is different between the games, but it still eventually happens unpredictably.
I should also point out that the warranty has most likely expired, and even if it hasn't i'd like to consider that option a last resort.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and helping me with this issue. Gaming is a huge part of my life, so not being able to do so is really rough. :(

Are you running off the HD 4000 graphics or does your unit have a discreet card in addition to the iGPU? Have you noticed if, and if not, I'd do so, whether or not the devices fan behavior/speed has changed or diminished? Is the fan running fast/full speed at the time it fails or does it not even have time to do so?

Have you checked the temps using HWinfo or Core Temp or another utility? (NOT HWmonitor or Open hardware monitor)

SingedEyeballs

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
Looking at Device Manager, there doesn't appear to be another GPU. As for the fan speed, i've looked with multiple programs to try and see the RPMs (no luck there), but i don't know if it has diminished at all. It sounds like it's working hard when the CPU / iGPU is taxed.

Idle: (running firefox)

Full Load: (Furmark CPU burner)

Sounds like there is a problem with the power jack, AC charging cable or possibly the motherboard or cpu itself.

Does it show this behavior if you're watching HD video fullscreen or only when gaming? And just to make it clear, that iGPU really isn't one meant for gaming so if you do use it for that I'd recommend seriously reducing settings in any game that's even remotely demanding.

SingedEyeballs

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
In the guide it says "download the appropriate drivers from either Nvidia or AMD site", but my IGPU is intel HD 4000.. so instead i got the display driver from here: http://www.samsung.com/us/business/support/owners/product/NP900X4D-MS1US. Tried it out anyways, no change; computer still powers off.

SingedEyeballs

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
I tried with the last link you posted, no dice.
Here's a response from a samsung representative that emailed me: "After reviewing post, have you checked the PC Board? The issue that you are having is related to the board overheating and would need to be replaced."
Looks like i'll have to find out if it's still under warranty and send it in.

That's why I said earlier that:
Sounds like there is a problem with the power jack, AC charging cable or possibly the motherboard or cpu itself.

But I figured it was best to make SURE it wasn't something as simple as a driver issue first. And just to clarify, the power jack IS part of the motherboard, and is a likely culprit as it distributes power to the motherboard and to the battery, and when there is increased draw to the GPU and CPU, as when gaming, otherwise tolerable faults tend to become issues that can't be ignored.