Samsung Launches Smart TVs With Gestures, Voice Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Great, now my television can monitor what I do.... no thanks. I will know it is doomsday when it starts singing daisy.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
So, the best way to annoy the people in the same room is to wave your hand at the screen? Keep changing icons/apps, even channels?
I prefer using a good old remote; if the gesture-based tech is only applied in the apps interface, then it should not be too intrusive, otherwise you end up with a mess.
Best thing about these TVs is the thin bezel; overall the design is just great.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]So, the best way to annoy the people in the same room is to wave your hand at the screen? Keep changing icons/apps, even channels? I prefer using a good old remote; if the gesture-based tech is only applied in the apps interface, then it should not be too intrusive, otherwise you end up with a mess. Best thing about these TVs is the thin bezel; overall the design is just great.[/citation]

I have a universal remote in my mp3 player, so your argument about annoying is invalid... you can install similar software on almost any IrDA-enabled device.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]3 years ago I was of the impression that tv would go the way of oxcarts.[/citation]
They probably would have if the TV manufacturers didn't have the foresight to realize that they would either need to adapt or become extinct. TV's have come a long way in the last 10 years.

I just hope that dual core processor is adequate. I have an LG 55LW5700 with some "Smart" apps and they all run like molasses up hill. Next to useless IMO.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Gah! How do they not get it? I don't want all this superfluous crap on my TV, I just want it to be bigger, thinner, cheaper, use less power, and higher resolution. Don't throw all these extra "features" in that nobody is going to use after owning it for two weeks. They're all gimmicks.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Definitely not the right TV for a sports bar...

I still wish the designers would learn to allow for customized names for these things. I'd get so tired of saying, "Hi TV" to make it listen to commands. Nevermind what happens when you have 3 similar devices in the same room...

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Gah! How do they not get it? I don't want all this superfluous crap on my TV, I just want it to be bigger, thinner, cheaper, use less power, and higher resolution. Don't throw all these extra "features" in that nobody is going to use after owning it for two weeks. They're all gimmicks.[/citation]

That is why there are different models in their lineup. This is their high end models =]

What I really wouldve liked to of seen would be 5k resolution. that would've sold me at that price

AIstudio

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
I dread to think what sort of gesture you would have to make to put on RedTube, babestation or something similar .... 8--

dakota75

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
It would be better for them to address their existing shortcomings than invest in this sort of gimmick. I have a D7000 which is a great TV but some basic features are missing. For example you can save multiple favourite lists but not sort them. I wanted to create a favourites list that was BBC1 HD, BBC2, ITV1 HD … Surprisingly it can't be done. You can only store favourites in the order the channels are numbered. So since the HD channels have higher numbers than BBC2 and C5 the order is all wrong. Is that too much to ask for ?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Good for Samsung. I am glad they put this out. I just hope that it does not require that I am 4-5 feet from the TV at all times for it to work.

G

I just read at http://www.talktechnews.co.uk/2012/03/12/samsung-ue55es8000-review/ that the voice and gesture is not very good. Does anyone know if this is true?

Status
Not open for further replies.