Status
Not open for further replies.

venkygec

Estimable
Feb 7, 2015
I have a Samsung 46" 3D LED HDTV ( UA46ES6200M ) and is of warranty.

The problem is exactly top half of the Screen is dark. Bottom half is perfect.
I can see the picture on the Top Half, but it is very badly lit and is uniformly dark (i.e. it is not in patches).

This problem appeared few months back, but after 1 week everything was fine. Now it started again and its more than month and is not going.

When i called the service center engineer, they said the entire panel needs to be changed. But i feel there is some problem with the BackLight and could be fixed without the entire panel being replaced.

Could someone please advise, exactly what could be the problematic part and how it can be fixed?

Thanks

Solution
With the LCD panels, there was the option of replacing the tube light to get things illuminated again.

With the LED's, it is more complicated. It is a more complicated replacement, and it may not be the LED's themselves, but rather the power controller to them.

At least by me, the shops charge this "Bench fee" to tell me a price that last time exceeded the cost of a brand new TV. For my money, I would just go for a new set, but YMMV.

I've included a link below to a possible hacked fix, but it would be a serious project.

http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Backlight-for-Your-LCD-Monitor-or-Television/

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
It does indeed sound like a backlight issue. Look closely at the dark part of the screen, with the TV on, and see if there is a faint picture or not.

With the LED's, if they are having this issue, it probably won't pay to replace it, and better off with a new HDTV.

venkygec

Estimable
Feb 7, 2015

Yes, i can see the picture on the dark part of the screen.

Is it not the case of replacing a single part? should i replace entire panel/ buy new TV?

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
With the LCD panels, there was the option of replacing the tube light to get things illuminated again.

With the LED's, it is more complicated. It is a more complicated replacement, and it may not be the LED's themselves, but rather the power controller to them.

At least by me, the shops charge this "Bench fee" to tell me a price that last time exceeded the cost of a brand new TV. For my money, I would just go for a new set, but YMMV.

I've included a link below to a possible hacked fix, but it would be a serious project.

http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Backlight-for-Your-LCD-Monitor-or-Television/

Solution

rado555

Estimable
Jun 24, 2015
i purchased samsung 65 inch led h8000 priced 285000 recently
withing 4 months its backlight started flashing on bottom of led screen after complain in samsung care
i asked for replacement or refund ,they recommended to change power controller
so i accepted their request and installed new power controller.
now after two months same problems has started and again i complained for the same
this time also they are insisting for some components change
but i dismissed their request this time and asked them to replace with other new models
or refund .
i think a generally good brand tv doesnt have problems in span of 6 to 7 years
there is some technical issues with this samsung H8000 65 inch curved led tv

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
Thanks for sharing. I had a Samsung 26" LCD that literally died just after the warranty ended, and I could not get it working again. The company was most unhelpful about it. I am not buying any more Samsung TV's, and avoid all their other products as well.

I have two Vizios now for my TV's, with the older one coming up on 5 years, and it is still going strong.

Ginyo

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
We also had this problem with our Samsung 40 LED inch smart tv un40f6300. A dark band across top of screen a couple months ago, only to completely go dark (almost black) yesterday. If you turn off the lights, you could barely see an image. We bought this tv in February of 2014, so a few months after warranty. (FYI, this is our second Samsung to develop the dark band across the top shortly out of warranty). We just called Samsung customer service. After explaining our situation, we were transferred to an "executive". My husband explained we've had four samsungs and two developed problems. That we as a consumer and repeat customer would expect them to do something to honor our loyalty. After going back and forth as politely as we could (this was difficult), they offered to pay for the parts after it is diagnosed by an authorized local repairman. I have a feeling that even if they pay for parts that the labor will be exorbitant. We paid $700.00 for the TV at Best Buy (tax included).
I remember the good ole days when you bought a TV and it lasted 20 years! Samsung smart TV... Not so smart!!!

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
Yes, the labor will be exhorbitant. Many of these Samsung TV's tend to break a few months after the warranty, and some have wondered if this is designed from the start. I can't imagine it is good for business as who would buy another of their products after this?

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-power-defect-causes-some-tvs-to-fail-and-a-class-action-suit-follows/

I've had good luck with two Vizio LED's, but YMMV.

After what I went through with my Samsung HDTV, and how the company was absolutely no help, I will not be buying their products anymore.

venkygec

Estimable
Feb 7, 2015

can you advise which part needs to be repaired? Can we find replacement for that part?

edson silumbe

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016

I have a similar problem,I have a 55 Inches Samsung Curved TV,anybody's assistance will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Toontown

Estimable
Jan 23, 2016
I've just had this problem of top half of screen horizontal ghosting effect,with my Samsung 40" LED.Its about 10 days over the 2 year guarantee.
I had a similar display problem 3 years ago with Samsung 32" LED just a few months over the 2 year guarantee limit.
I've bought Samsung TVs & mobile phones for 10 years plus now.
The old Samsung LCD TVs were very reliable and I've still got a 32" and a 40"(I gave the 40" away but it's still going strong) still working after 10+ years.
You're wasting your time contacting Samsung,it's quite simply a case of getting it fixed yourself (not worth the price) or get a new TV.
Having spent thousands on Samsung products over the years,I've finally decided it's time to use other brands as the quality build just isn't there with Samsung now,they must be using cheaper components in their products,but still charging top prices.

Vishal_rvp20

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016

I too have the same problem with my 46" UA46D7000 TV.But my tv goes into on/off cycle.It won't stay on for a single minute.I tried replacing the motherboard but nothing changed.Is there any means to get it turned on atleast?

Bethany_4

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016

Check the power board. You can usually test the LEDs by swapping the cables if the dark part works during that then it's the board that's bad. If not it could be the cable or LEDs themselves.

tessyts

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016

We ALSO bought the Samsung LED TV Series 6 6300 Model # UN40F6300 fro Best Buy. AND it developed a dark band across the top of the screen after very little usage. I would really like to know the outcome of your situation. I WILL NEVER EVER PURCHASE another SAMDUMB piece of crap again. Look at their phone exploding now, washers and dryers are getting peoples homes on fire. This company is done. BUT they don't care they already pockets our money and will just start up another company.

Kristofer_3

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016
I'm having the same issue. A F6300 Slim LED TV (40 inhc) -- dark band across the top. Trying to figure out if it's an LED strip/backlight issue or if there is a larger problem with other components.

sudden50

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Have a 48" Samsung LED Smart TV with recently diagnosed backlite issue. Entire screen is dark with faint picture in background.
Diagnostic was $50 and backlite replacement will range from $275-$350. And he cannot assure he can get the part in short order due to Samsung being very slow on fulfillment and short supply.
We have opted to pickup TV and look into replacing the part myself.
Is this part readily available and from whom?

samgrubs

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
I have shadow bands across my screen. I emailed tv repair people with photo attached and they said it was the LED panel and not economical to replace.

So new tv it is and not samsung that's for sure. Maybe a European type. Will have to research. TV easily watchable at the moment so no great rush though could get worse any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.