Samsung LN40A550 Screaming Green Screen

mgf

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Vertical green lines and deafening high-pitch scream on my LN40A550 when it first turns on after being off for an hour or longer. Screaming Green Screen lasts about 10-15 seconds - then, tv TURNS ITSELF OFF and BACK ON. Usually is ok after furst reboor but sometimes reboots itself 3 times before it turns on cirrectly. The screaming is scary loud. Looking for solution.

mgf

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Thanks. I have checked and found no firmware update for this set. Also tried your link above e.but no info on updates there either unless I just didn't see it.

mgf

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Had chat with Samsung. They kept directing me to press Menu-Contact Samsung. Menu on this set does not have Contact Samsung option in Menu. Must be another way to get to that option. I also have two, 32" Samsungs and both have the Contact Samsung option under Menu. Only this LN40A550P3F does not. Anyway, the Chat guy told me to unplug the set while it's turned on, count to 30, and plug back in. This is not an intuitive fix for this kind of problem but did it anyway - no difference. Then he gave me link to Service Request. That link required my entering a Service Request Number. I had none. After three tries, Chat Guy told me I cannot order service from mobile device ( I was on Droid Mini phone). He said if I order from PC, it won't ask for service number. Put in Service Request from PC. It requires checking off problems in Troubleshooting Guide. Choice do not include my problem and no field for "Other" to explain it -- this is a real flaw, asking for description of problem but not allowing you to provide one. I asked for assistance with repair cost if related to the notorious capacitors in so many fault Samsung sets of this model. I'll post after I hear from Service.

mgf

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Thanks. Ran the 1006 update and got "same version" already installed. I installed v.1005 over 1006, let the set reboot, then reinstalled v.1006. No problems with the install. Same problem with the Screaming Green Screen (SGS) at "cold" start. See my reply about turning on ONLY the Samsung without source, waiting 40 seconds, and then turn source on. Well, that time is now up to 1.5 - 2.0 minutes I have to let the Samsung "warm up" before powering up source (cable DVR box). If I don't wait long enough, i get the SGS. Thanks for the suggestion. ** Any ideas of what is wrong and the likely cost to repair this are welcome**.