Samsung Magician software won't recognise a Samsung SSD in a Samsung notebook

Chris Bedford

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
My client's notebook has become far too slow for an SSD-equipped PC, so I downloaded Magician and it reports, rather alarmingly, that the disk drive is a SAMSUNG MZMTD128HAFV-000 (119.24 GB), shows the serial number, firmware revision level and free vs used capacity, but that's about all. Drive Health status: N/A, Total Bytes Written: N/A. AHCI Mode, SATA Interface, OS Optimisation: All N/A ("Information is available only for Samsung brand SSDs")

I did run a Performance Test and it came up with some numbers, but without anything to compare them with that was pointless.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I should be looking for? Is there likely to be a hardware fault somewhere?

Chris

Solution
The user manual has a list of supported SSD devices; not all Samsung ssd devices are supported
Yours is not on the list.
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/downloads/software/Samsung_Magician_495_Installation_Guide.pdf

If the ssd is near full, it will slow down and a larger ssd is in order.
The Samsung ssd migration tool will accept most any "C" drive as a valid source for a migration operation.
You would probably need a usb attached adapter to connect the new device.

Another thing to check is malware.
Over time it can really slow down a pc.
Run the free edition of malwarebytes.

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

That software I imagine was meant for Retail models of the drives.
You have a OEM drive which isn't supported.

geofelt

Distinguished
The user manual has a list of supported SSD devices; not all Samsung ssd devices are supported
Yours is not on the list.
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/downloads/software/Samsung_Magician_495_Installation_Guide.pdf

If the ssd is near full, it will slow down and a larger ssd is in order.
The Samsung ssd migration tool will accept most any "C" drive as a valid source for a migration operation.
You would probably need a usb attached adapter to connect the new device.

Another thing to check is malware.
Over time it can really slow down a pc.
Run the free edition of malwarebytes.

Solution

Chris Bedford

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Thanks, I missed that! I'm normally the first one to look for user guides, I should have thought of that >sheepish grin<

Yep, that is the first thing I always check, and after cleaning up some temp files and other clutter (there wasn't a lot, maybe 1 GB) it was on 62 GB used, 38 GB free so that *shouldn't* be too much of an issue just yet.

Interesting thought. Typically I expect malware to cause "odd" behaviour, but it's worth checking out. Thanks for the advice.