Samsung Netbook doesn't boot after new RAM installation

heelflipp900

Estimable
Apr 29, 2014
I have an old Samsung Netbook N150 Plus with Windows 7 Starter and I'm trying to update the RAM.

I bought a new 2 GB DDR2 SO-DIMM 200 pin PC2 6400S RAM chip and the installation is painfully easy (unscrew a bottom panel - take out old RAM - put in new RAM - screw closed).

For some reason the computer refuses to boot! I've seen this error previously where sometimes the RAM stick isn't all the way in, but I've pushed as hard as I deemed safe and it's clear the chip is snapped in. The power LED will turn on and stay on, however the screen never turns on. I can hear the fan blowing as well. The next clear possibility is compatibility. If you check the link for the RAM chip and compare it to the approved list from Samsung, the chip I purchased should be compatible, unless I missed some key statement.

When the old RAM chip is put back in, the computer boots up as normal (aka slow).

Any light you guys can shine on this would be great and I would greatly appreciate it. If more information is needed, I will happily provide.

Solution
Hi, your Ram from Hynix is compatible with your laptop, maybe you received a defective RAM. If you can exchange the RAM, you will know if it was really defective.

pugpeg

Honorable
Apr 8, 2014
I always trust Crucial's memory guide for what will work in what machine--- not only what speed memory , but even how much will be recognized. You might try going to crucial.com and entering your machine's spec's.

heelflipp900

Estimable
Apr 29, 2014

Hey pugpeg,

So I did get the specs for my RAM chip from crucial. I made sure everything was the exact same as their website as the chip I bought on eBay.. I would have bought from crucial, but the eBay one was $18.00, while crucial wanted $36.00 ...