Samsung 'Smart' TV MKV 1080p from USB impossible?!

you-go

Estimable
Feb 5, 2015
Some 1080p mkv videos (around 8 gig) won't play on Samsung UA40F6400KXXT.
Playback source is Western digital 2TB Passport HDD, plugged in USB.

I read that due to FAT32 limitations, files >4 gig can't be played back properly.
However, once I copied said files to a NTFS formatted USB stick, still no success.
<4 gig mkv vids play just fine.

What is the issue?!

Solution
It is very possible that they are all corrupt. The issue is that FAT 32 can only address 4gb worth of data for a file in its MFT (which keeps tabs on where data clusters are located), so any file in excess of it won't be referenced properly (data pointer points to nowhere) after the 4gb mark.

You shouldn't need to format the hard drive, but you will more than likely need to re download anything that exceeded that limit.

you-go

Estimable
Feb 5, 2015
Thanks for the reply Vlad. Yes, the files >4 GB were on FAT32 HDD originally, then copied to NTFS USB stick.

Does this mean that all >4 GB files on FAT 32 HDD that I freshly downloaded will be corrupt? Is a HD format inevitable if I wanna playback these kinds of files? Seems more and more files in 1080p exceeds the 4gb databarrier....

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
It is very possible that they are all corrupt. The issue is that FAT 32 can only address 4gb worth of data for a file in its MFT (which keeps tabs on where data clusters are located), so any file in excess of it won't be referenced properly (data pointer points to nowhere) after the 4gb mark.

You shouldn't need to format the hard drive, but you will more than likely need to re download anything that exceeded that limit.

Solution

you-go

Estimable
Feb 5, 2015
Thanks Vlad. I appreciate your helping so much!
My bad, I thought that the partition I downloaded to was FAT, but upon closer scrutiny turns out to be NTFS, and the external HDD also. For some reason it was only usb stick that was FAT :) Which is strange, when u see its slender body. What a horrible joke. Anyway, kudos mate :))