Samsung Surpasses Nokia as World's Largest Cell Phone Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvinyang

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I hope this news gets to the execs at Nokia and make them switch to the Android OS. We need their Xenon Flash, Carl Zeiss Optics power as an Android Phone.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Good for them! :D
Well they have done unbelievably well, I mean I walk around every single day and see some kind of Samsung phone but mostly they are the SGS 2.

I have a SGN but I never see anyone with that. :(
(forever alone)

el33t

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
**** APPLAUSE ****

Rightly deserved! My sincere wishes for Samsung for their future endeavors and my appreciation for them for being such an amazing smartphone makers.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Your figures are at odds with GSMarena they show Samsung selling 45 million smartphones
As this is their area off expertise I will side with them until evidence suggests otherwise.

kingius

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
Bah, who cares really? All this 'my phone is so good and better than your phone' is such playground stuff. It's time for the tech industry to grow up a bit now all the fuss about smart phones has died down.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Congrats sammy!
Till this day the GSII still does unbelievably well compared to newly released phones..

I'm waiting for a new tablet from samsung with a new A15 chip, hopefully won't take long :)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"Apple, however, remained the largest smartphone manufacturer."

Manufacturer ???
Exactly where are the Apple plants. How many people does Apple employ in MANUFACTURING ?

I am getting so tired of marketing companies (Apple, Nike etc.) being called Manufactures. Same B.S. as the 'production' of oil giving the false impression we can simple 'produce' more at will.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]alvinyang[/nom]I hope this news gets to the execs at Nokia and make them switch to the Android OS. We need their Xenon Flash, Carl Zeiss Optics power as an Android Phone.[/citation]
[citation][nom]alvinyang[/nom]I hope this news gets to the execs at Nokia and make them switch to the Android OS. We need their Xenon Flash, Carl Zeiss Optics power as an Android Phone.[/citation]

I don't see it happening with MS investment in Nokia with WP.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
While Samsung's electronics are very good (I have their Refrigerators, TVs, and more) and their TOP TIER phones are very very good, their value phones are complete trash:

Their feature phones, like the Samsung Restore, have very buggy software and firmware (such as spontaneously rebooting, erasing text messages while in the middle of writing them, and more), and their low end android phones, like the Samsung Intercept, are just as buggy or worse (ringtone continuing after the caller has hung up, constant freezing, glitches with the slide-out keyboard, general sluggishness).

Very very disappointed.

My non-flagship phone brand of choice is LG: Their feature phones (like the LG Remarq) are very durable, robust, and the software is well laid out... Their low end android phones are quite functional, and are rock solid, in hardware and software (like the LG Optimus V). Their mid-tier phones (like the LG Esteem) have proven to be beautiful and speedy. LG phones are not without their faults: The feature phones don't store many text messages, the built in cameras are marginal at best, but I'll take stability and durability over top tier secondary features, particularly in the value-to-midrange tier.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"Apple, however, remained the largest smartphone manufacturer."Manufacturer ???Exactly where are the Apple plants. How many people does Apple employ in MANUFACTURING ?I am getting so tired of marketing companies (Apple, Nike etc.) being called Manufactures. Same B.S. as the 'production' of oil giving the false impression we can simple 'produce' more at will.[/citation]
And, of course, that phrase had to be the very first phrase of the article. Not Samsung, but about Apple. Obvious attempt to start a flame war.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"Apple, however, remained the largest smartphone manufacturer."Manufacturer ???Exactly where are the Apple plants. How many people does Apple employ in MANUFACTURING ?I am getting so tired of marketing companies (Apple, Nike etc.) being called Manufactures. Same B.S. as the 'production' of oil giving the false impression we can simple 'produce' more at will.[/citation]
And I'm getting tired of idiots with no idea how products are made claiming that someone like Apple is just a marketing company. Is Nvidia a marketing company? They don't make their GPU's and have to rely on a foundry to do it for them, so I guess they fit your description.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I contributed to this rise of Samsung stock, just bought a galaxy nexus and for the first time since I bought my Nokia N95 so many years ago I'm actually happy with a phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.