Samsung tablet has red x on battery icon

brianvi

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
My samsung galaxy s2 7.0 tablet has this red x over the lightning bolt and battery icon when I charge it. I've read about the device needing a port with at least 2 amps to charge. I have mine plugged into a port with 3.5 amps, yet the red x is still there. The charge speed cant keep up with the tablets usage.

Yes, I typed this on my tablet.

Somebody has had a similar problem on our forums in this thread which has since been solved. It might give you some ideas.

Here is a another thread from Android Central with the same problem that might give you some solutions. The most likely reason this is happening is that your charge block/cable are not adequate (i.e. not using the OEM ones) or they and/or your charge port is damaged. Browse through that thread though, as there seem to be a number of solutions that have been suggested.

Sebastien_5

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

Stone_Dragon

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

This can also be a dirty charging port. Especially if you have the 30pin connection. Remember the old Nintendo cartridges? Blow out the charging port and the end of the connector as that resolves the issue most of the time. Also assuming you are plugged into a power source that delivers at least 2.1 amps the red x should go away.

YesItzLandon

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
I'm a bit late ,
But I've struggled with the same thing. I noticed that when I turn the device off completely then plug in the charger after a few minutes.. the charging symbol comes up and shows how much it is charging. So, what you have to do is turn off your tablet completely (press the power button) and once it's off ,plug the charger into it, then wait until the next morning or hour until it says 100%. This really worked for me, I hope it does for you

drpink70

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Hello,

got the same problem. I am an electronics designer and know my chargers have enough current, it is rated 15A! So tried making a 5.3V charger, like is mentioned many times. Did not work, so swapped wires, also did not work. So turnes out only the Samsung charger works, independent of wires.. They have some kind of protection...

So what could be the clue... The not used datawires in the USB cable! So i tried connecting them to +5V, to GND, crossed, nothing worked, until I disconnected them and left them connected floating! Red cross dissapeares, and charger works at full capacity.. This is a smart trick of Samsung, since in a USB devices these wires are connected to an output and in a charger they are left floating, but probably not connected to each other... So their own charger is unique!

What to do.. Open charger wire, determine D+ and D- wires (mid two contacts in connector), cut them, connect them to each other at the Tab side, and charge.. If you are not able to do so, buy a stock charger, or wait longer (device off charges faster)...

Have fun!

LadyScorpio1027

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
has your tablet been wet our near extreme cold? My phone does this only when it's been near extreme cold or the charging port got a little wet. If that's the case, wait awhile for it to warm up/dry, then plug in, should work. Worked for me.

tigerpie

Prominent
May 29, 2017
I have the same issue with a Note 10.1
Is there any chance the battery is screwed?
I have seen lots of posts and answers but for a battery that would be roughly 5 years old, I have not read any suggestions that it could be a battery....
Do these battery's just not fail?