Samsung Tablet May Not Be So Expensive After All

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
How is $200-300 a high price tag for a device like this?

Really? You really think $200 would be a high price tag? Hell, $300 is still a good price. That is pretty darn reasonable and actually the price range they should be.

Just think, these devices will be able to do full Flash, have more of an open OS than the iOS, and they are half the price. Android Tabs will be closer to a computer than the iPad will ever be.

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Andoid based tablets, a tablet named galaxy.. can't wait for the next star wars reference.. no dobut everyone will be chomping at the bit to get android o/s with jav(bb)a the hut embedded. I assume those prices are UNSUBSIDIZED by a contract. If they are than they're a good deal for a 16/32gb version plus a SDHC slot, usb host for expansion/development. I'm looking for something to replace my Zen Vision M 30gb media player. I'll add this to my list if it does all I want it to.. Sofar I've been disappointed with Archos products, they always seem to come SO CLOSE to a perfect product and then support it like crap and have so many walled gardens on features.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I called this on the last Tom's post about it. It's foolish to even speculate about prices going over $1k.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
It was clear from the very beginning that price would be about 200-300$. Look at the prices netbooks WITH touchscreen.

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]tmc[/nom]Andoid based tablets, a tablet named galaxy.. can't wait for the next star wars reference..[/citation]

Neither Galaxy nor Android are Star Wars references. Asimov wrote about androids in the 50's and, well, Galaxies are far older than Star Wars.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
It's far from an Ipad killer with it's short battery life and virus acceptability along with a huge price tag. But it is nice to see some competition in this market, it should lower prices on all makes and models.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The 200 to 300 Price tag is the cost based on a 2 year internet plan. If you purchase it outright it will set you back a good $700-$900. Which places it next to the Ipad in cost terms.

G

Not sure how many will want a really big phone?? Is it worth the subsides just to get the price down? I personally think a WIFI only is far more attractive.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"would be brought down considerably by carrier subsidies."

no one wants another 24 month contract.

why the hell didn't they do it like apple with prepaid?

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind who his going to pay for a 24 month contract for this, AND their phone, AND their home internet.

or am I wrong? is the US actually an economic power house at the moment?

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]How is $200-300 a high price tag for a device like this? Really? You really think $200 would be a high price tag? Hell, $300 is still a good price. That is pretty darn reasonable and actually the price range they should be.Just think, these devices will be able to do full Flash, have more of an open OS than the iOS, and they are half the price. Android Tabs will be closer to a computer than the iPad will ever be.[/citation]

[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]ok keep us posted, but at this point 200-300 seems very reasonable[/citation]

[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]It was clear from the very beginning that price would be about 200-300$. Look at the prices netbooks WITH touchscreen.[/citation]

are you people even listening? they are saying that is the SUBSIDISED price! its like saying the iphone only costs $99...

yes, it may be $200 or $300... plus $1000+ over the 24 months for the contract...

[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]does it have camera, mic, and speaker?if so, with Google Voice, you have a DAMM fine cell phone of sort....[/citation]

This thing as a cell phone is about as neat as taping a dinner plate to the side of your head.

This would have some options as a speaker phone setup or a house phone with some headsets.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]It's far from an Ipad killer with it's short battery life and virus acceptability along with a huge price tag. But it is nice to see some competition in this market, it should lower prices on all makes and models.[/citation]

Every time I see one of your posts... I feel sorry for you. Trollie trollie trollie!

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Bottom line: If Samsung sells it for $200-$300 unsubsidized then it's not as good as an iPad. If it's superior to the iPad then Samsung will sell it for the same price as the iPad.

Samsung is a business and they exist to make money, plain and simple. There's no way they will sell a superior product to the iPad AND substantialy discount it - that's like throwing money away.

Status
Not open for further replies.