San Francisco Police Say No Records of Missing iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Plant seeds that it was made up by Apple to bait the Apple haters and conspiracy theorists. And reading the first comment, it looks like it worked. Yes, they made up a story that they lost an iPhone prototype at a bar AGAIN so that they could appear even more incompetent because negative PR is what they want, especially in the wake of Steve Jobs leaving. As if iPhone needs anymore excitement.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
MSN homepage is running this.

"UPDATE - 7:30 p.m. ET Friday. After denying to SF Weekly that San Francisco Police Department officers had been at the scene of the iPhone search, SFPD is now telling the weekly that they accompanied investigators to the home, but did not go in."

Complete loss of control of the gov. and big business is now official. One person mentioned
cyberpunk (rpg), I still have the manual and looked up private police force for corporations. Funny how a game from ~20yrs ago inadvertently predicted the future.

G

rofl @Maxor127

Apple learned from the iPhone 4 loss that the negative publicity didn't hurt them at all. In fact, it generated a great deal of hype in general media outlets that they wouldn't have normally received so much attention from. Apple understands that the iPhone 4 loss (despite the rather poor handling of that incident by Apple) actually generated additional sales.

Yes, in the tech media outlets, there is already a great deal of hype that has been generated. However, the iPhone is a device for the masses, so Apple needs to generate better messaging for that audience. Android devices are a real threat to Apple (hence all the lawsuits whether you believe they have merit or not) since the Android devices in totality (from all phone vendors) is already dominating. Look at all the free advertising that has been generated for the iPhone 5 as a result.

Whether Apple did this on purpose or not is a real question that should be asked. This is no baiting, and this is no conspiracy theory. If you think large corporations are incapable of such activities in the name of simple profits or market dominance, your understanding of corporations is very naive.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
@Maxor127: Ha, Ha, Ha, you made me ROFL with your comment... Especially the last part with the excitement. I can change the way my phone looks and feels 10 times a day, it I want to.
but, once you power up an iDevice, you get the same old boring interface, with no options to really change or improve it... like you all are going to the same prostitute.
You can bet your it needs more excitement.... BTW, to acknowledge that they are always trying to pull some old PR move to get attention doesn't make one a hater or a conspiracy theorist (conspiracy? what conspiracy?); it takes one to make one up. Just be happy in your golden apple cage, buddy, nobody hates you for that.

G

you're a little behind on the deets, fella... the SFPD (via Lt. Troy Dangerfield) is admitting involvement. this is gonna be interesting.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Plant seeds that it was made up by Apple to bait the Apple haters and conspiracy theorists. And reading the first comment, it looks like it worked[/citation]
Doesn't mean it isn't true
Are you saying that you think this was a genuine accident?
Maybe 100 years ago this tactic would have been believed but since Apple have done the same thing with so many products over such a short period of time the chance of it being accidental approaches zero much quicker.

mba24

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Apple always trying to brainwash those who favor it. It's a part of their conspiracy to lure and create excitement in those who impatiently expect new products from them, but as ever, time comes when people get tired and as result, they repulse thing because they just don't find excitement on them anymore. Apple trend is being obsolete and therefore new strategies should be adopted. The horizon is getting in sight.

truth_13

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah. I think this was a cover story, or the reporter being lied to which is why it is hard to get an official understanding to what's going on.

I think the law knows of another law that is being broken in people's ownership of the phone being breached. The privacy of the owner of the phone tapped or wired by the new phones that, don't forget, REQUIRE internet access in order to buy from a company. So it goes toe to toe in another realm of perspective that isn't being talked about.

No one really is trying to put themselves above the law. That's just stupid in a big company. It really IS the law enforcement (more than likely the Federal Government's FBI) doing these decisions that is not part of the law and can go against them, but if found, they'll try to evade casualties to the Fed as usual when unlawful mishaps like this happen (example: Cointelpro, etc).

You have to really think and know some of the history to actually see that this is not truly what the investigation is all about. There's only two ways this will result to: A fall guy, or them literally being caught by mere California policemen (since state law enforcement do not always know what fed enforcement do or not informed MOST of the time).

G

By my research, this branch of the SFPD has a clearance rate of 6% for property crime and 39% for violent crime, but could spare three or four officers to search for a device that doesn't officially exist and wasn't officially reported missing? http://www.jacksonfuller.com/2011/09/03/how-to-get-the-cops-to-care/

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]The police shouldn't even have been there. There was no police report files let alone a search warrant. Total misuse of police resources. I blame Calderón too. if someone comes to my door saying they are police and want to search my house? Ummm where's your ID and where's your search warrant? I would've told those Apple thugs to take a flying F* and closed the door.[/citation]

i have nothing to hide, but would tell police to get a warrant, if it was apple, and i knew it was apple, id of told them to pound sand, than get a bit closer and slam the door in their face.

to be fair, not just apple, and big business that would want to search my house i would treat just as bad, but apple seams most likely to want to search you.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
1: SF is a 'sactuary city" so no real SFPD officers would ask about immigration status of anyone inthe house.

2: Having civilian security officials along- with or without a warrant- is going to be cause for a civil suit that can cost Apple millions.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]Draven35[/nom]1: SF is a 'sactuary city" so no real SFPD officers would ask about immigration status of anyone in the house.[/citation]

Just goes to show you how doomed the US is, being totally overrun with every kind of third world refuse.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Sounding more and more like a publicity stunt day by day...

But honestly, why dose Apple have the right to search a civilian's home? This is so wrong.

leper84

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Just goes to show you how doomed the US is, being totally overrun with every kind of third world refuse.[/citation]

Uhhh yeah... we were a nation built from third world 'refuse'... derp derp. They're breaking the law yeah, but they're still as human as you...

[citation][nom]truth_13[/nom]blah blah blah[/citation]

Well Kzon, I can actually almost understand you this time. Keep up the good work.

This guy Calderón should sue. He should sue the pants off Apple and he should sue the pants off SFPD. He consented to a search from the police and in return they lied to him and sent in Apple's corporate enforcers. I'd say his initial consent doesn't stop this from fitting under 'unreasonable search'

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
So they either want to cover up that homosexuality was involved,since there was quite a few posts going on around mentioning it or it could very well be what I mentioned in a post on the last news article about this story & that is that this is all a free advertising hype for the pre-launch of iPhone 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.