SanDisk Copy Error -The directory or file cannot be created.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxman

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
[/b]My son has a 1GB SanDisk Sansa Model M240. Until today, was able to drag and drop MP3's from computer, no problem.

Now we get the error, "Cannot Copy 13 - Jim Morrison - Roadhouse Blues: The directory or file cannot be created." Same error occurs when I try to copy any file. The computer reports that the Removable Drive has 992 MB Capacity, 463 MB used, 528 MB free. 116 files.

What to do? I've searched the internet, and the only thing I found was someone complaining in a review of the unit that they had this problem. No solutions.

Appreciate the help. I will probally just format the thing and start over. But if it happens again, then the answer will be out there for us and others.

Thanks in advance.

maxman

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I deleted a couple few tunes, and was able to copy a file to the unit. Is there a limit to the number of MP3 files even though the device reports not full?

tom5002

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
go to my computer

right click on your device that is connected

click format (full format)

then click fat 32 full erase (to do this it must be on a windows xp system)

i did this and have had no problems then on

lausus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Hi,

I had the same problem when copying to a mmc drive on my pc, and it seems that you cannot have more than x files under the root folder. I created some folders and I copied everything fine. So if you can create folders on your SanDisk you should be able to drag and drop there easily.

Lausus

xxenclavexx

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
The root folder is the culprit on this one. My advice is to add tracks like so
Artist>>Album>>SONG.mp3

I had the same trouble and was pissed at first till i figured that crap out.

spiderhunter

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
tom5002 suggestion worked the best. I could only fill my 1gb Hip Street MP3 player to 63% capacity. I planned to take it back for a replacement, but figured I would try tom5002 suggestion since I had nothing to lose.
I copied all the files from the player onto a folder on the desktop. Formatted the drive by right clicking the drive from my computer, and selecting format, it took a few seconds. Then I copied all the files back onto the mp3 player. I can now fill the mp3 player to full capacity with no problems
Thanks tom5002!

Becks66

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Lausus is right about the root folder issue. My friend just had this problem with her 1GB Creative Zen Nano. We found this thread, and we put files into subfolders and the issue was cleared up immediately.

bigman208

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Hello all I have a question........

I'm having the same problem with my same mp3 player......I tried re-formatting it as some of you have said but once I got to the same point of having 300 MB of space left, the thing started doing it again and flashing that message!!!!!

My computer runs on Windows Millenium so any tips to fix this problem?? Many thanks to those who lend a hand......

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Off topic I know sorry.

Ah another member with good taste in a avatar photo. Nice choice Boondock Saints awesome flic. I actually remember being the only one who had heard of it after it came out on video and now it has gotten so popular.

Oh and to bigman208 the only suggestion I have is dump Windows Mellinium.

marzidoatz

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
I connected my Sansa mp3 player to my computer with the USB cord, then if I clicked on "My Computer" and then clicked on the Sansa player to open a new window for the player and its contents -

At the top of the window - choose "folder options" and then check the box in the list to allow viewing of hidden files. Now your list of files for the Sansa will include a MUSIC folder. Drag your music files into this folder and you will be able to add the maximum amount.

The files that were just dropped to the device were being copied to the root directory and that had reached capacity - that's why you were getting the error message.

cbalogh05

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Tom5002 is right on. Format your disk for FAT32 and the problem disappears. I didn't have the luxury of creating folders as the USB drive is plugging into a digital picture frame which is reading the drive for a slide show.

Thanks for everyones comments. This is a great forum.

high note

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I agree Tom5002 is right!!!! I am using a 2gb sandisk micro sd card with an adapter in my built in card reader on my desk top. Had the same problem. I had tried several time to format with FAT (no 32) which did not work. Tried FAT32 and walla!!! It works now except the total space on card is still 1.83 gb instead of 2 but I can live with that. Thanks TOM !! Now I can put the card in my Samsung High Note phone and listen to 300 songs I have loaded and still have almost 500mb free!!

G

i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH ERROR "CANNOT COPY" AFTER REACHING ABOUT 65% ON MY usb DRIVE. i WAS VERY DISSAPOINTED THINKING i WOULD HAVE TO RESCAN CLOSE TO 200 PICS! i TOOK tOM5002 ADVICE AND REFORMATED MY DRIVE, (fAT 32!) ,...and bingo! wORKS LIKE A CHAMP! tHANKS A MILLION tOM!

bsten

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Hi all, my daughter got a Sansa Clip on Xmas Eve. Trying to copy music files (mp3) to the disk I got an error message, "cannot copy ("file") - The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected". However, says ays "Connected" in the Clip display, and I am able to locate the Sandisk on My Computer (XP).

What could be the problem?

I had the same problem with a USB memory stick, and a friend of mine had the same problem with a mobile (cell) phone.

Formatting could solve the problem, but then all files on the Sansa Clip disappears, including the FM Player, and I suppose it is not possible to re-install the FM Player once you have formatted the Sansa Clip to FAT32 (?)... :-(

Cheers,

Bengt Stenstrom, Sweden

georwc

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
I had the same error message. once I reformatted to fat 32 the problem went away. thanks for your help.
georwc

bsten

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
When formatting, there are no options for fat32 etc, though I have Windows XP. XP just formats to "Generic Hierarchical" system. How do I format to fat32?

And once formatted, how do you play the music files (since all the original files are gone)??

bs

Swans343

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Tom5002's solution does indeed work for fixing disks (mini, memory sticks, microsd's, etc.) which won't load files to their full capacity. 1) Go to My Computer, 2) find the disk you want to maximize capacity for, 3) right click on that disk, 4) left click on Format..., 5) change the file system from FAT to FAT32, 6) accept that this will erase all data on the disk by pressing OK. Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.