Sansui quad receiver

admiri01

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015
I have a sansui quad receiver that I want to try out with 2 B&W CDM 7SE for the front and 2 CDM 1 SE for the rear. The sansui is rated at 25 watts per channel into 4 speakers and these B&W's are rated at 30 watts minimum. can this set up cause damage to the speakers and how could I get more power to the sansui and still use the quad features it has? Is this possible? thanks for any feed-back....

Solution
This is an odd question.... You have a 1970s vintage Sansui driving $3000 worth of speakers and trying to use quadrophonic output ...

The 25W/c back in the 70s probably meant more current than hardware today. I believe I would give it a try. I don't believe you can hurt the speakers, the 40 year old stereo.... no way to know.

kanewolf

Judicious
This is an odd question.... You have a 1970s vintage Sansui driving $3000 worth of speakers and trying to use quadrophonic output ...

The 25W/c back in the 70s probably meant more current than hardware today. I believe I would give it a try. I don't believe you can hurt the speakers, the 40 year old stereo.... no way to know.

Solution
The only potential problem is if you try to play this system louder than the receiver is able. Keep the volume low and no problems. If you do play too loud the tweeters could be damaged. B&W tweeters are pricey so listen for any distortion and back the volume down if you hear any.
If you end up liking the quad sound then you could add a multichannel amp or two stereo amps to the receiver. If it has preamp outputs then it would be a quick hookup. If not then you could add two of these
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
to drop the speaker outputs to line level and connect the amps.

admiri01

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015

admiri01

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015

admiri01

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015
Thanks for all the feedback. I've heard of this happening also. It was described as the amp starts producing a DC current and damaging the tweeters. Thanks for the confirmation. This particular model does not have pre-IN/OUT so I may try your idea. I am by no means a tech savvy guy, but will continue to tinker etc...BTW this unit sound fabulous in stereo. These older units seem to have something in the sound that newer stuff are lacking. Thanks again.