Sanyo GXT717 Stereo Music System from 1950s

smithkathleenw

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Hello, I have this system (from my parents), and it still has the two original speakers Sanyo AD717. I could attach a powerpoint with pictures if you advise me how to do that. Record player, two cassette tapes (including one for recording) and AM/FM radio. One speaker is not delivering any sound. The other one does work but the sound is overlaid by a loud crackling noise. Could you possibly advise this non-techie how to repair or replace the speakers? Your help would be much appreciated.

Solution
Thats ok, no problem! I know what the system and the speaker outputs look like, you have two sets of red and black push connectors. I can also visualize what you mean when you say one set came out! This may mean one set has become de-soldered from the amplifier circuit board. The best ways to see if it has, is to either, pull it back out again, and see if it is connected to the board with wires, or if it comes out and nothing is attached to the rear of the connectors. Finally, you could **MAKING SURE THE POWER IS UNPLUGGED!!** gently remove the rear brown fibre board from the system and peer down at the speaker terminals.
Let me know how you get on.
Regards,
K
This system is from the mid 80's, not the 50's ;) The problem may lie with the volume controls (this system has one for the left, and one for the right) either being dirty, or worn out, or the same goes for the tone control. This is a classic problem for systems this old, and in particular, ones with sliders, rather than rotary controls. You could try swapping the speakers round and seeing if it is the speaker, or the amp that is at fault, i.e if you get the same problem. Check also the rear speaker connectors are intact.

smithkathleenw

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018

smithkathleenw

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Thank you for responding so quickly, Kenton. How do I attach a picture to show the speaker connectors? One set came out when I was cleaning (before I had turned on the machine so I do not know whether this is a new problem), and we were able to jam them back in but I'm not sure whether we did that correctly.

Thats ok, no problem! I know what the system and the speaker outputs look like, you have two sets of red and black push connectors. I can also visualize what you mean when you say one set came out! This may mean one set has become de-soldered from the amplifier circuit board. The best ways to see if it has, is to either, pull it back out again, and see if it is connected to the board with wires, or if it comes out and nothing is attached to the rear of the connectors. Finally, you could **MAKING SURE THE POWER IS UNPLUGGED!!** gently remove the rear brown fibre board from the system and peer down at the speaker terminals.
Let me know how you get on.
Regards,
K

Solution