Saving Data from an Android

dustley

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Hey, so my phone's screen broke awhile ago (Droid razr maxx), and I copied the entire file system plus everything on the SD card to my computer, but I didn't root it or run any backup programs or anything before I sent it in to be repaired. The repair took way too long so they're just sending me a new phone (Droid razr maxx HD).

My question is, how can I restore my data from the system files? Everyone online talks about using backup programs while you still have the phone, but what can I do in my situation? I mostly would like my contacts and notes back, and texts and apps/app data would be nice as well. Thanks!

Solution

Depends on what options you used, I think the default contact storage is your email account, there is also a thing called Backup Assistant, at least in my Verizon Android phone, that brings back everything after you sign into it again. I had to replace my Android phone (Motorola X2) and when I signed on to the Backup Assistant pin I set up, it loaded my contacts.

My Contact show these options: Google (gmail), Backup Assistant (Phone), Preset (Verizon Wireless), Facebook, Corporate Sync and Email which is my default ISP email I use.

When...
How did you copy everything over? If you did not do an image of the ROM or do actual backups of the device with software from your service provider, you will only get the items on the SD card. Your contacts and some other data should come back once you activate the new phone. Applications you will probably need to download and install again.

dustley

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
The SD card and the internal storage both show up as separate folders in windows explorer, so I just copied and pasted both of those to my computer. The contacts aren't stored on the device?

Depends on what options you used, I think the default contact storage is your email account, there is also a thing called Backup Assistant, at least in my Verizon Android phone, that brings back everything after you sign into it again. I had to replace my Android phone (Motorola X2) and when I signed on to the Backup Assistant pin I set up, it loaded my contacts.

My Contact show these options: Google (gmail), Backup Assistant (Phone), Preset (Verizon Wireless), Facebook, Corporate Sync and Email which is my default ISP email I use.

When you look at a contact, it will tell you where it's saved. Unfortunately since your phone is not working, I don't know how you can see your contacts.

If they have your phone still, the Razr has a video out port, you can actually show the screen on a TV, if it can be unlocked. Or you can get your old phone and just pay a repair shop to fix the screen so you can get your data back.

Solution

dustley

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Alright, thanks for the info. Like I said though, I already sent it in to get it fixed but it didn't happen. No one knows where it is now, so I can't get a hold of it. :/

dustley

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

Thanks, but isn't it too late for that since I don't have the original device anymore?

Yes it is, the person replying did not read your post fully, probably just the title.