Say It Ain't So, MOJO

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnje

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
"there is a wealth of HD programming now available and thus we have chosen to discontinue the service.”

That is a joke of a statement. With comcast in the Northwest, I can click on the hd button and although it may show 20-30 channels as being in HD, I would be lucky to see maybe 5 that are actually broadcasting HD at any given time.

In times like this, I'm asking myself if it is really worth paying the extra for HD when it is seldom available.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]johnje[/nom]"there is a wealth of HD programming now available and thus we have chosen to discontinue the service.”That is a joke of a statement. With comcast in the Northwest, I can click on the hd button and although it may show 20-30 channels as being in HD, I would be lucky to see maybe 5 that are actually broadcasting HD at any given time.In times like this, I'm asking myself if it is really worth paying the extra for HD when it is seldom available.[/citation]
I feel exactly the same way. When stuff like this happens it makes me wish that a la carte programming was an option. I could pick and choose to subscribe to individual HD channels--and ONLY HD channels.

Thanks,

Rachel Rosmarin
Editor of Tom's Guide

G

Acually, there IS a wealth of HD TV. I have Direct TV and there are a crap load of selection for HD; almost 100 channels I think are in HD. The complaints about not enough HD TV usually do come from Cable customers. I know, because friends of mine who have HD with Comcast have only 30 some odd channels to chose from. I hate to sound like a Direct TV commericial, but if you're going to spend X number of dollars for TV shouldn't you pay for more (Direct TV) instead of for less (Comcast)?

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]hemi_7382[/nom]Acually, there IS a wealth of HD TV. I have Direct TV and there are a crap load of selection for HD; almost 100 channels I think are in HD. The complaints about not enough HD TV usually do come from Cable customers. I know, because friends of mine who have HD with Comcast have only 30 some odd channels to chose from. I hate to sound like a Direct TV commericial, but if you're going to spend X number of dollars for TV shouldn't you pay for more (Direct TV) instead of for less (Comcast)?[/citation]
Hemi,
I'm seriously considering making the switch to Satellite. But, of course, I'll have to find a new ISP... so complicated. Verizon FIOS isn't in my neighborhood yet, unfortunately. I'd like more options.

G

Though I haven't looked into Direct's offerings lately, Dish has recently added all the movie channels in HD as well as quite a nice selection of original programming. Though I still think that HD in general has a way to go, it's finally looking up.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Best use of an HDTV

1) Connected to your console of choice (360 or PS3)

2) Connected to your computer, preferably one that can play games at 1920x1080

3) sports channels (if they are in at least 720p)

4) hi def movies from your PS3 or from your computer

tv? pffffttttttt waste of timmmee

:)

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
i'll stick with comcast. even though the hd selection isnt the greatest, the only time i give a shit about hd is when the flyers/eagles are playing, which is going to be on one of only a couple channels.

G

Comcast Chicago takes way MOJO HD to show Comcast SportsNet + HD it should suck even more to take way a HD feed of a HD channel to show it. Why can't they take way a VOD slot. They also take way CLTV to show the SD feed.

Direct tv takes away a PPV HD slot to show it.

G

MoJo is just one more piece of roadkill on the HD Highway. Let's not forget the real HD pioneer Voom. They offered 21 full time HD channels on a dedicated satellite service. Something for everyone, movies, cartoon, music, sports, etc. They also offered close to every HD channel available (including Playboy HD).

Sharee100

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
I have hd, but don't use it. It was included in the cable bundle I have. If I want to watch tv with hd clarity as shown on my lcd tv I go watch the regular channel on my standard tv. Regular channels, such as ABC, NBC, CBS on my lcd look like old vcr tapes. Is that supposed to make us think hd is "something better than we had before" so we will pay more to watch the hd channels? I, too, would like to pay for only the channels I want. MOJO would not be one of them.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Sharee100[/nom]I have hd, but don't use it. It was included in the cable bundle I have. If I want to watch tv with hd clarity as shown on my lcd tv I go watch the regular channel on my standard tv. Regular channels, such as ABC, NBC, CBS on my lcd look like old vcr tapes. Is that supposed to make us think hd is "something better than we had before" so we will pay more to watch the hd channels? I, too, would like to pay for only the channels I want. MOJO would not be one of them.[/citation]
Hi Sharee,

Thanks for your comment. I think 99.9% of people with True HD (HD channels and an HDTV) would disagree with you that standard-channels watched on a standard-def TV look better than HD. Perhaps something isn't right with your setup. Anybody have any suggestions for Sharee?

All the best,

Rachel Rosmarin
Editor, Tom's Guide

topkilz

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I never watched MOJO. I am going to be ridiculed for sure, but for me; all the MOJO channel was, was HD for the sake of HD. I did not think there was any real quality to any of the programming in that channel. I tried watching the London series once or twice, and even thought a program like Three Sheets would be funny and interesting.

Honestly, the majority of shows I watch are network shows (dodge rocks now). I think HBO and pay cable channels are slowly coming around.

Let me break it down like this: I cancelled all my cable providers "digital" channels as well as PPV and VOD. this is because I do not think anything NOT HD is worth paying for. The only reason I have a cable box is for the HD-DVR I have that DVRs two shows in HD at the same time.

Sharee, I agree with Rachel as I have a brother-in-law that spent 2,200 for a Samsung HDTV and their shows ALWAYS looked horrible. It was only then that I discovered that all they were using was an S-Video connection. Because you have an HDTV, it does not mean you are watching HDTV. Please check cable connections for either component or HDMI.

G

I am VERY UPSET they cancelled MOJO...I watched it everyday...I LOVE ALL THE SHOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! boooooooooo

former mojo fan

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I am so sad to hear it was canceled - we switched to DirecTV and were so mad they did not have the MOJO channel - I guess one less thing to be disappointed with DirecTV about - although the list is pretty long...

Status
Not open for further replies.