Scaling by DivX player or HDTV?

chris1379

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
I have a Phillips DVP3140 connected to the component input of my Visio VO420E-M HDTV. I have DVD's and DivX discs of many resolutions. I noticed there are picture size settings on both the player and the TV. What would be the best combination? The DVP3140 has the following options:
Fill }
Select this to scale the image up or down
in horizontal and vertical directions
respectively to fi ll the screen height and
width.
{ Original }
Select this to fit the original screen size
(only for DivX®/MPEG).
{ Height Fit }
in vertical direction to fit the screen
height.
{ Width Fit }
in horizontal direction to fit the screen
width.
{ Auto Fit }
Select this to take the minimum value of
horizontal and vertical fi t scale ratio (like
letter box).
{ Pan Scan }
Select this to take the maximum value of
horizontal and vertical fi t scale ratio.

The default is Auto Fit, which seems to scale everything to DVD resolution. I considered using Original, which outputs the resolution of the DivX file and letting the TV scale it. That would save it from being scaled twice. The TV viewing mode options are:

[Normal Mode]
The original 4:3 aspect ratio (1.33:1 source) is preserved, so black bars are
added to the left and right of the display image. Standard TV broadcasts are
displayed with a 4:3 Aspect Ratio. Movies in 4:3 Aspect Ratio may be referred
to as pan-and-scan or full frame. These movies were originally filmed in 16:9
(widescreen), and then modified to fit a traditional TV screen (4:3).
[Full]
Full mode allows you to view the entire picture. Recommended for HDMI and RGB / Computer viewing so
you can see the complete picture without the image overstretching beyond the viewing area. If you
experience “noise” along the border switch to Zoom 1. For 720p, 1080i, 1080p only.
[Zoom 1]
When watching a standard broadcast or full-frame movie in this mode,
the display image is stretched proportionately to fill the TV screen.
When watching a widescreen (1.78:1 source) program or movie, the
display image fills the TV screen. If you are watching a widescreen
(1.85:1 or 2.35:1 source) program or movie, there will still be black
bars at the top and bottom.
[Zoom 2]
Zooms in by 14% to crop the top and bottom bars for 2.35:1 film resolutions. For 480i/p, 4:3 only.
Stretch Mode
When watching a widescreen program (1.78:1 source) with black bars on
the sides, the display image will stretch to fill the TV screen. People will
appear wider than they really are. If you are watching a widescreen
(1.85:1 or 2.35:1 source) program or movie, there will still be black bars
at the top and bottom. This mode is available only when watching a
widescreen program.
[Panoramic Mode]
When watching a standard broadcast or full frame movie in this mode,
the 4:3 Aspect Ratio (1.33:1 source) display image is stretched
horizontally on the left and right sides to fill the TV screen. The center
of the image is not stretched.

I believe I was using Zoom1 with the DVD player in Auto fit. What would I need if the DVD player is set to Original? So what is the best combination that will give the clearest picture and still preserve the aspect ratio?

Chris

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
it sounds like zoom 1 will stretch a 4:3 picture so that there are no black bars on the top and bottom.

BUT

normal mode says there are black bars on the left and right, without implying there are black bars on the top and bottom.

for 4:3 aspect ratio, the difference between the two sounds like nothing.
but maybe there is a different scaling algorithm being used.

zoom 1 sounds like it is useful when viewing a movie with a weird rectangled aspect ratio.
if there isnt enough resolution to fill the picture from left to right, there would be black bars.
therefore zoom 1 allows you to scale that rectangle to remove the black bars on the left and right.

zoom 2 cuts off a percentage of the image on the left and right so that there are no black bars on the top and bottom.
you would be losing part of the picture with this option.

stretch mode specifically states what it does and why you wouldnt want to use it.

panoramic mode also specifically states what it does and why you wouldnt want to use it.

i would switch between normal/full/zoom 1 and see if the picture looks clearer with one of the options.

i would switch between original and width fit to see if the picture looks clearer with one of the options.

we wouldnt know which one is the best combination unless we have experimented with the same television and dvd player.

i have narrowed down the options to the most logical ones to try.
i dont know if you already know that those are the best options to try, but they are there for somebody else if you already do.

chris1379

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
I took some time to go through all the possible combinations and here's what I came up with. Any setting on the DVD player manipulates the picture within a given area that doesn't change size. It's the same size at 16:9 or 4:3. Auto Fit allows for the image to fill the screen while maintaining the aspect ratio. As for the TV, the only setting that expands the picture to the full horizontal size without distortion is Zoom1. So there it is Auto Fit with Zoom1.