Scorsese: I'd Consider Going 3D-only for My Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I personally dislike 3D, it's an expensive gimmick that has very little real effect on how i view a film; and a majority of the 3d movies I've seen barely use the feature. It's like the first 10feet of depth from the camera really pop, and then the background looks more 2D than if the whole thing was shot in 2D.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
It's nice. Avatar justified having 3D, UP was pretty nice.
But after a few more I'm less and less ready to suffer the glasses.
Glasses-free would be fine, but for now I prefer to see the 2D version.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I have not seen Hugo, but Roger Ebert says that Scorsese used 3D the way that 3D should be used in Hugo. Based on that, I may go see Hugo in 3D.

Personally, I thought that 3D added nothing to Avatar. Avatar was equally as good without 3D, and in no way did 3D, to me, add anything to the movie.

Many 3D movies have used 3D as a marketing gimmick, and I believe that is their downfall. The more 3D is a marketing gimmick, the less moviegoers will appreciate it. For the most part, there have been few movies, two in fact - Hugo and Cave of Forgotten Dreams - where reviewers have said that 3D has added anything to the movie. In my opinion, two movies in the recent spate of 3D movies where 3D has added something to the movie not even remotely a good track record given the number of 3D movies that have been released in the time frame.

Having one or two artists out there that are capable of using the medium in a meaningful manner is not going to drive 3D into the forefront of the market place even though movie studios like it because it siphons the cash from the moviegoer's pocket into the studio's pocket.

When I go to a movie, I am not looking to be on a theme park ride. So far, that is what the vast majority of 3D movies seem like they have attempted to create. It adds nothing to the film, and even 3D cannot make a bad movie good. Personally, I would not miss the medium if it were to disappear.

rflynn88

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I make every effort to avoid the 3D versions of movies. They add nothing to the film and in many cases detract from the viewing experience. I don't want to wear the 3D glasses and pay $14 instead of $10 for a movie ticket. The 3D effect actually makes the movie look lower quality to me. I'd much rather the movie be focused on the quality of the plot, acting, and visuals than be focused on making crap fly out of the screen at me. The only 3D movie I've seen in the past few years was Avatar in IMAX 3D. After 2+ hours of watching the 3D version I was getting a bit of a headache. I enjoyed watching the 2D version much more.

I really hope this recent resurgance of 3D dies soon. It's a total waste of time.

G

Yikes, Cumulonimbus incus!
He might not be your personal cup of tea but COME ON!
Surely he's earnt his place as a respected filmmaker.
And POWELL? REALLY???
Personal taste, I suppose...

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
People often use 3D as a gimmick, but that does NOT mean that 3D itself is a gimmick. 3D is best used to add depth, not to have something pop out of the screen. The best scene for me in Avatar was a short shot in a troop transport where you were looking down the line of men. That sealed it for me. 3D can be awesome. Since I'm poor, I'll even play around with anaglyph 3d now.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I don't like 3D. Avatar was a very good 3D movie. I saw Toy Story 3 in 3D, waste of money. Everyone said you HAD to see Transformers 3 in 3D, waste of money. I refuse to watch any 3D movies or pay +$3.50 for every ticket to see it. My wife can't watch the movies without being "distracted" by the 3D and she gets a headache, I find myself feeling the same way. The 3D fad is annoying, I make a joke every time I see a movie trailer, I say "In 3D" before it ends just to see if I guessed right.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Saw a few movies in 3D, the last was the Green Lantern 3D. I have not seen another 3D movie since then and I refuse to watch in movie that is displayed in 3D.

Apple Troll Master

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I agree with all the statements in this forum. The day we have the movie shooting from the floor to make a real 3D / Holographic movie where objects will be in the way of other objects depending on where you are seated in the theater and no glasses required is the day I'll see a 3D movie. It will be just the 3D chess in Star Wars but on a large scale.....Can't wait. JMO

utgardaloki

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I'll take 3D any day over 2D. If a game can't support 3D I won't play it. If you have a good system powerful enough to support it (high performance and little or no ghosting) and you have knowledge on how 3D works technology wise and knows how to use and set it up properly (few seem to do) there is no going back. At least for me there wasn't. For me 2D is as putrid as black and white feels for most today, at least game wise.

I can't stand the 3D effect in movies though since the effect is subtile at best and does nothing to represent 3D the way it comes out in real life. So I rip my 3D movies and then run them through pure 3D players where I can adjust parallax to my liking. Avatar 3D in the theatre was crap in my opinion but ripped and then set up to resemble the size and expancive views of that movie here at home it's god like. Absolutely phenomenal. Showed it to a couple of friends who "hate 3D". First I showed it "the way it was meant to be seen director's style". Then I switched to my own settings and they honestly freaked and we ended up watching the whole thing. They said it felt like they where trule "there", hardly something you can say about the default settings of any 3D movie I've seen.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
3D is a "perk". It can definitely add to a movie... but I HATE it when they make a movie and put it in 3D just for the sake of saying its in 3D... it adds NOTHING and makes the movie actually worse.. I saw Avatar in 3D and 2D... 3D was by far a better way to watch(except it blurs the action sequences) but 2D was great as well... cloudy with a Chance of meatballs was horrible, and 3D did not help...

Bottom line - Certain movies SHOULD be in 3D... most should not.. period.

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I guess I wont be seeing any of his movies if they are 3D only. I have a vision impairment... and while in the minority, many people have impairments that prevent them from seeing movies in 3D or 3D comfortably.

Cumulonimbus incus

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
[citation][nom]thelonius[/nom]Yikes, Cumulonimbus incus!He might not be your personal cup of tea but COME ON!Surely he's earnt his place as a respected filmmaker.And POWELL? REALLY???Personal taste, I suppose...[/citation]

Mmmm...taste...

Peeping Tom
Ill Met by Moonlight
The Battle of the River Plate
The Tales of Hoffmann
Gone to Earth
The Small Back Room
The Red Shoes
Black Narcissus
A Matter of Life and Death
I Know Where I'm Going!
A Canterbury Tale
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
One of Our Aircraft Is Missing
49th Parallel
Contraband
The Spy in Black
The Edge of the World

I believe Scorsese reckoned Powell to be genius of cinematography and with Pressburger they spun a mean story.

Not one of these films (perhaps with the exception of "A matter of Life and Death") would have been more creative in their day had they been shot in 3D.

G

Then again, it seems Scorsese has had a change of heart.

Everyone has a price.

Overall, I like the 3D movie experience. I wouldn't go too often due to price. I've enjoyed all of them to date except one.

A bad example of a 3D movie is the recent "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader". I saw this in 3D at the theater and I honestly felt claustrophobic. The 3D effect actually made the movie feel really small to me.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I recently went to see Immortals at the theater. I was very disappointed that all the theaters near me gave the standard 2D showings the short end of the stick. They only had 3 showings for the new release in 2D. Two were before I was off of work and the third was late at night (10-10:30). This frustrated me so much. I refused to see the 3D one out of principle. The movie industry is angering me so much by forcing 3D down our throats and jacking up their prices so I don't want to go to the theater anymore. I'll just wait for rentals, I guess.

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
There's really little sense in NOT filming a movie in 3D. If you want it to be 2D, that's simple - but if 3D display technology is greatly improved, it's much more difficult to convert a film originally shot in 2D into 3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.