Solved! Screen won turn on after thermal paste replacement ASUS ROG GL503VD

Apr 28, 2019
Decided to replace the thermal paste on my laptop and followed a guide on youtube, pretty much did the exact same thing he did except mine didnt worked, the system runs but the screen doesnt show anything. so far i tried removing the battery and pressing the power button but it doesn't work for me any ideas what i can do

Solution
The battery wouldn't effect the display.

When you took it apart it is completely possible that you knocked the cable that connects the display, at either end, loose, or that the display cable got pinched or damaged. So that is where I would start. Check the cable.

Should that not do it, then recheck where you changed the thermal paste (you didn't actually say where).

Now, if the problem was the display not working right before you changed the paste, then changing it wouldn't have fixed it. In that case you may just have a fried GPU. Try the following (after the above)...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop...

When you took it apart it is completely possible that you knocked the cable that connects the display, at either end, loose, or that the display cable got pinched or damaged. So that is where I would start. Check the cable.

Should that not do it, then recheck where you changed the thermal paste (you didn't actually say where).

Now, if the problem was the display not working right before you changed the paste, then changing it wouldn't have fixed it. In that case you may just have a fried GPU. Try the following (after the above)...

4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution
Apr 28, 2019

4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

So i took off the fans and i cleaned the old thermal paste and applied a small amount of thermal paste. i dont think i did that part wrong. i dont see any ribbon cable in my laptop. idk which one is the cable that connects to the screen, also i did hook it up to an external monitor (hdmi) didn't work. i doubt anything is fried though since i there is no indication of anything getting burnt

Apr 28, 2019
A GPU, if gone bad, doesn't have to look burnt.

The cable would be connected from the motherboard to the display.
It was working completely fine before i changed the thermal paste...
what can i do right now, i want to get it fixed asap but i dont want to wait 7 days just to get asus to diagnose whats wrong with my laptop and telling me to replace my motherboard ( they have really bad CS in here)

If the laptop isn't under warranty any longer (which opening it up and replacing the paste yourself would have voided any warranty) then you can take it to them or any local tech. However, as I said, just because you only intended to do anything on, and only worked on, one or two things does not mean nothing else was effected. All it takes is snagging something while working, a shock (even a teeny one) to the system, pinching a cable or wiring, I could go on and on. There is no simple "oh just do this" option. Especially since you said the external monitor shows nothing either. It needs to be looked at.