SD Card Internal Storage Issue

pranavpramodkumarn

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
When I try formatting my Micro SD card as internal storage it says it has been formatted but comes as corrupt and I cannot use it. While if I format it as external it works fine. I'm using a motorola moto g2. Can anyone help me resolve this?

Solution
If some are working, but others aren't, then there may well be a problem with those particular cards. Also, it is not designed to change a card to "Internal" storage and then have the card removed while in that state. That itself could corrupt the card. Likewise, if the card was changed on a different device any other device would not be able to access the data. When changed to "Internal" storage it encodes the data.
Have you tried a different card to see if there is a flaw in that one? Also, it may depend on how you are actually doing the change. Are you doing it the correct way (instructions included below) or have you altered the phone in some way?

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

pranavpramodkumarn

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I've tried another SD card and it has been successfully modified to internal storage. When using my new SD Card it comes as corrupt. Used another similar SD Card to the new one and it also comes as corrupt.

If some are working, but others aren't, then there may well be a problem with those particular cards. Also, it is not designed to change a card to "Internal" storage and then have the card removed while in that state. That itself could corrupt the card. Likewise, if the card was changed on a different device any other device would not be able to access the data. When changed to "Internal" storage it encodes the data.

Solution

alphastrike2401

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

I have a small question do I don't wanna start another thread. I have 32gb internal and and I wanna format my 128gb memory card as internal. If I format it will I lose my 32gb? Because I've read on some sites and they saw when you format a mem card as internal you lose the internal storage. And what about the os? Will the os files too get copied on the memory card?