Solved! SD Card Not Recognized By Laptop - How do I fix it?

dekw04

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hi everyone.

I have a laptop that won't show me the files on my SD card when I plug it into the SD card slot. It's a 200 gigabyte micro SD card that I use with an adapter. I'm sure it's not the SD card as this SD card is recognized immediately and without any issues in another laptop of mine.

When I put the SD card into this laptop (the one that doesn't show me the files on it), the laptop labels it as "Generic SC200 SD Card". This laptop only ever showed me the files on the SD card one time and it took like 5 minutes before the window that showed the files popped up.

How do I make it so that this laptop immediately recognizes (and opens up the window that shows the files on my SD card) after it gets plugged into the SD card slot?

Thank you.

P.S. The laptop that is having this issue is an HP 2570P.

Solution
if it gets reported as "generic" that hints you your card reader supports sd 2.0 version (32GB limit)
sdxc/UHS is not supported and max 20MB/s transfers

so stop tryin or u really corrupt your sd cards, ull need different card reader with athleast uhs 1 support

dekw04

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

Hi. Thank you for your reply. The laptop that can read this SD card is model HP 17t S000. The laptop that cannot read the SD card is model HP 2570P.

dekw04

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

I understand what you're saying, but if the SD card reader in this laptop truly couldn't support such high capacity then why was it able to be recognized even once by the laptop? The SD card was recognized one time, but again it took like 5 minutes to show my files on it.

dekw04

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

I tried a 64 gigabyte SD card with the HP 2570P and it didn't work either. The drive was listed as "Generic SE64 SD Card" and it didn't show me the files on the card via a pop up window.

It looks as though the problem may not be with my 200 gigabyte micro SD card, but rather with my SD card slot or the software/drivers associated with my SD card slot.

I thought that maybe there was something I could do to make it work (e.g. installing new drivers, etc.). I guess I will look into that, but if anyone has any ideas as to how to solve this issue I would consider those ideas, too.

dekw04

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

I understand. I wonder though, why is this computer is able to recognize a 4 terabyte external hard drive of mine just fine, but it can't recognize a 200 gigabyte micro SD card? Why would an SD card slot not be able to recognize the same capacities as a USB port?

Also, I tried a 64 gigabyte SD card in the slot and that didn't get recognized either. It appeared as "Generic SE64G SD Card". Might it be possible that it's just an issue with the SD card slot or its drivers and not that the computer can't recognize a 200 gigabyte card because of its age?

kerberos_20

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
if it gets reported as "generic" that hints you your card reader supports sd 2.0 version (32GB limit)
sdxc/UHS is not supported and max 20MB/s transfers

so stop tryin or u really corrupt your sd cards, ull need different card reader with athleast uhs 1 support

Solution